What you should do this summer: Part III

With summer looming, those staying in town are already making ambitious plans with friends to fill the downtime between work (or trying to find it). Summertime in Madison is remarkably relaxed and enjoyable, following a mass exodus of college students and the coming of warm weather. The city becomes quieter than usual while still maintaining its healthy cultural vibrancy with no shortage of things to see or do. Here are a few of the more interesting events and places to scope out this summer in Madtown.

The Union

The Memorial Union terrace quickly becomes the “go-to” destination for pretty much every student, and with good reason. With a sunset over Lake Mendota in the background, sailboats on their way in from an evening cruise and live music almost every day, the terrace is the best place to meet up with friends, play cards, converse over pitchers of beer or just mosey around until you find someone you know. Open mic nights are a favorite of many students, but also of note are the bluegrass series on Thursdays and a jazz series on Friday evenings. Another weekly event on the terrace is Monday night movies, from which stems my fondest Union memory — when the entire terrace erupted with cheers and applause when Charlie found his Golden Ticket in the infamous scene from “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.” It’s the hangout spot for the frugal, made even cheaper when you steal leftover empty pitchers for their $1 deposit.

Just past the terrace on Lake Mendota the Hoofer’s Sailing Club hosts its annual Pirate’s Day some time in June, and while the date is undecided, the races and pirate costumes make for a fun time for participants and spectators alike. See the Union’s website for more info.

Capitol Square

Many students opting to stay in Madison over summer adapt their grocery shopping habits to incorporate fresh produce and other goods from the Dane County Farmers’ Market, held every Saturday from 6 a.m. to noon on Capitol Square. This is the largest producer-only farmers’ market in the country, and is an excellent place to stroll around searching for eats to fill your fridge, pantry or enjoy on the spot. Hot spicy cheesy bread, anyone?

For those who prefer a nice, long, casual sit on the grassy lawn of the Capitol, the Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra’s Concerts on the Square are another Madison tradition you have to see at least once. The concerts are Wednesday evenings from June 24 to July 29 and provide for a uniquely comfortable blend of the swanky and casual crowds of Madison, making it perfect for people watching. But come early, the Capitol’s entire lawn disappears before the show even begins.

But the most well known summer event outside of Madison is the annual Art Fair on the Square, which runs July 11-12 and is hosted by the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art., This event features scores of local and regional artists along with music and food, a great time for the wealthy and window shoppers alike

A Bit of a Walk

Even though Madison feels like a brand new city after school lets out, sometimes it’s still comforting to get away from the campus area. On those days, head to the Henry Vilas Zoo, a small (free!) zoo which packs a lot more than you might expect into its modest size. And if squabbling prairie dogs and mischievous chimpanzees don’t amuse you enough, plan a picnic or a kickball game for afterwards at Vilas Park located just next door. Alternately, a nearer park that proves popular for ultimate Frisbee and other games is James Madison Park on the shore of Lake Mendota along Gorham Street.

In the opposite direction of the zoo is Olbrich Botanical Gardens on the east side of Lake Monona, a generally underappreciated 16-acre outdoor paradise with a modest $1 entry fee.

If you’ve been answering “No” to the most common question of the last week of classes, “Are you staying in Madison this summer?” then you’re certainly missing an opportunity to see a refreshingly different, far more relaxed side of the city, and the various goings on around town make it worth reconsidering where you want to spend your summer.