‘Midsummer’s Night’ reinvented

This weekend, the University of Wisconsin’s University Theatre is opening its spring production of William Shakespeare’s famous romantic comedy, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.” This spring’s performance will be under the direction of Norma Saldivar.

As the head of the university’s MFA directing program, Saldivar has taken this project in a remarkably unique direction by means of locating it in the Greater Antilles of Cuba in the ’50s. The audacious choice of locale is one that strongly evokes resplendent impressions of whimsy and political intrigue.

In an interview with The Badger Herald, assistant director Jeremy Poulsen said, “It’s a great choice because that area in time lends itself very well to the themes that are present in the script. It’s a very beautiful area, with the jungle. … Also, the cultural aspects and the social climate of the time period really pop, shine, when it is the background of this Shakespearean play.”

The story of four young lovers in a fairytale world beset by a troupe of amateur actors and fairies is one of the most popular plays done in theater today. Besides the distinctive setting, Poulsen said what also sets the production apart is its ability to so readily entertain.

“It’s got a lot of fun aspects to it. There are several dance numbers, Latin dance numbers, in the production that are really fun moments of the show, something you don’t usually see in Shakespeare. We’ve added some really alive moments that really give a different texture to the show. And it’s a hilariously funny presentation. The show will have you laughing the entire time you’re there,” Poulsen said.

Poulsen adds that it still features moments with the potential to affect audience members.

“It does have its heartfelt moments. It still has moments that … really touch you. But then you are able to laugh a lot. It’s got a good mix of honesty along with the humor,” Poulsen said.

The performance holds special meaning for the play’s MFA student actors involved with the production. It marks the final main stage production of their last training year before graduating in 2009. This element is sure to give the presentation an added dimension of emotion. “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” may be a widely performed classic, but the unique setting and local actors make the University Theatre production one not to miss.

“A Midsummer Night’s Dream” will run from Feb. 26 until March 14 in the Mitchell Theatre. Night performances begin at 7:30 p.m. and matinees begin at 2 p.m. Tickets for the general public are $20 and $14 for students. Discounts can be made available for children, senior citizens and Friends of University Theatre.