Animal Collective wins on latest

The funny thing about Animal Collective is the more lucidly they speak through their work, the less truly original stuff a writer can say about them. Such is the case with Merriweather Post Pavilion, the group’s ninth full-length album.

Recently, much has been made of Animal Collective’s alleged bending-over-backward to fit into more familiar or conventional music structures. This may be attributed to the seemingly opposite direction of the band’s latest release in contrast to previous work.

Merriweather Post Pavilion sounds very little like Animal Collective’s first few albums, at least not superficially. It’s obvious this album is less concerned with elongated patterns of alien noises. However, once the listener backs off and reflects on what they’ve heard, there is a realization it all clicked in a bizarrely cohesive way.

Compare “Who Could Win a Rabbit?” from 2003’s Sung Tongs, the single which awarded them a measure of early fame, to Merriweather standout “My Girls.” “My Girls” may or may not be an enjoyable song, but what is truly remarkable is that it actually sounds like the manifestation of joy itself, obligatory handclaps and all. Nonetheless, listeners who prefer a freakier — or at least a more discordant — brand of jams will find Merriweather Post Pavilion very uninteresting. Yet, what it does offer is still very appealing.

It is disheartening that many believe Merriweather Post Pavilion marks some sort of plunge into popdom (i.e., spiritually selling out). That assumption overlooks the continued presence of an inherent restlessness that has fueled all of Animal Collective’s projects. Even in what seem to be a more conventional sounds and structures, Animal Collective band members seem unsatisfied with the idea of simply building upon what they already created.

As if to spite the approach to pop music production, which privileges the use of multiple climaxes, the much-discussed “Brothersport” is one drawn-out, constantly heightening climax, which plays out in the same way as one holds in an exceptionally intense orgasm. This album, as well as much of Animal Collective’s catalog, is a synesthete’s playground. Furthermore, it’s suspect to fault a band for developing new ways of realizing old but not yet exhausted effects.

Animal Collective has provided music for coping with the collage of human relations we all face. The feelings generated by this work make it difficult to ignore the familiar faces from the everyday routine with a heightened sense of empathy, maybe even — but not necessarily — appreciation.

5 stars out of 5.