Atmosphere given ‘Lemons,’ Painted’ them ‘Gold

Even five years ago, it would have been hard to believe that Minneapolis would grow to be an epicenter for underground hip-hop. Yet, that is exactly what happened. This can be largely attributed to Atmosphere, the group composed of emcee Slug and producer Ant. Known for Slug’s psychoanalytic raps about love and alcohol and Ant’s multilayered sample-driven production, Atmosphere has baby-stepped their way from being a predominantly local act to internationally renowned. Their latest album, When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold, debuted in April as the nation’s fifth-best selling album. Since then, they have been touring the world, promoting artists on their record label, Rhymesayers Entertainment. Atmosphere’s “Paint The Nation” tour stops in Madison on Halloween night. In the meantime, Slug set aside time to talk with The Badger Herald about Lemons, hip-hop, politics and more.

The Badger Herald: What spurred your decision to use live instrumentation on Lemons?

Slug: It was just the natural progression of things. Who doesn’t want to take baby steps and try new shit? We’re just trying to take our music another step forward, trying to teach ourselves some new tricks.

BH: What is your creative process for writing songs?

Slug: I’ve always tried to be a storyteller, and when I do write my stories, I try to follow what the music does. For example, what kind of mood the music is showing, and what kind of story it should accompany.

BH: Lemons has had record-breaking sales numbers. What does that mean for Atmosphere and Rhymesayers Entertainment?

Slug: It sure got us more attention. Otherwise, I even see that in the continuation of baby steps. From every record all the way back to Lucy Ford, it has been a process of us outdoing ourselves. It’s just a continuation of those baby steps. [Pauses] Hey. I’m going to apologize in advance for how many times I’ve been saying “baby steps.”

BH: Atmosphere spent this past summer touring throughout Europe. How were you received overseas?

Slug: We get a lot of love overseas. Though not as much as in the U.S. because we haven’t had the opportunity to pound out shows overseas the way we have here. But it is pretty amazing to be able to go play in front of five or six hundred kids in countries that aren’t necessarily English-speaking. For example, when we go over to Germany and play in front of that many people, it’s really exciting.

BH: Specifically, how do European hip-hop fans compare to Americans?

Slug: I used to see European audiences and say, “These kids are way more true to the identity of traditional hip-hop,” because they were. But now, I’m starting to see a shift over there. I’m seeing more indie-rock kids, more punk-rock kids, and people that just have a palate for music that is across the board. They like Atmosphere, TV On The Radio, a little bit of everything. Much like the U.S. I would say three or four years ago, it wasn’t as much like that in Europe. A lot of the kids that liked Atmosphere back then were strictly hip-hop fans. I’ve just now started to see kids from other backgrounds start to show up to the concerts.

BH: You’ve been an outspoken Obama endorser. What do you think makes him a strong potential leader for this country?

Slug: To me, the most important thing about Obama is the way he motivates the youth and previously voiceless citizens to start expressing themselves. When I vote, what I’m supporting is not necessarily this one guy. It’s a whole motivated movement of people. What I’m hoping is that people will see that their choice got elected, and they will feel the validation that comes from that, and then will continue to use their voice. For me, Obama represents something that people can believe in, people that may have never believed in anything before when it comes to politics.

BH: Can we expect anything special from your show in Madison on Halloween?

Slug: I promise I’m not going to have any pepper spray.

Atmosphere will be performing at the Orpheum on Friday, Oct. 31 at 8 p.m. Tickets are $25.