For touring cast, life doesn’t ‘suck’ much

Sometimes it is important to be blunt. Tony Award-winning “Avenue Q” takes that statement to the next level.

On Tuesday, “Avenue Q” opened at the Overture Center for the Arts for a six-performance run, full of puppet sex, racism, porn, homosexuality and a whole lot of heart. As vulgar and potentially controversial as this show is, its message shines through with toe-tapping numbers, a sharp and witty book and actors having the time of their lives. This show, and specifically this cast, does a fantastic job, providing a solid night of entertainment.

An obvious spoof of Sesame Street, some characters are puppets, handled by an actor who (obviously) does the actual talking and singing for them. The main character is Princeton (Robert McClure), who just graduated from college and moves onto Avenue Q in New York. There he meets new friends, including Rod and Nicky who are having roommate issues because Rod may not be accepting his true self, Brian and Christmas Eve who are engaged and broke, Trekkie Monster who is addicted to porn, Kate Monster who is the love interest, and the super, Gary Coleman. Yes, Gary “What you talkin’ ’bout Willis?” Coleman. Princeton now must accept living without the comforts of college and discover his purpose in life.

The acting and singing in “Avenue Q” are great. McClure and Carey Anderson, who voices Kate Monster and Lucy the Slut, are extremely expressive and energetic. And it is just as fun to watch the puppets as it is to watch the actors handling them. Anderson is a standout and, in this writer’s opinion, improves upon the original cast’s portrayal of Kate Monster; she brings simplicity and innocence to both her acting and her singing. Anderson does not demand respect from the audience but politely asks them to sympathize. Clearly, Anderson put the character first, and she’s not concerned with the quality of her singing voice, unlike the original Broadway Kate Monster.

The only real disappointment was the actor who played Brian, the overweight fiance of Christmas Eve. The actor, Cole Porter, delivered a four on the energy scale while his cast-mates all delivered a 10-plus. He never spoke loudly or sang with any passion — his performance was the definition of a phoned-in performance.

Overall, the real star of the show is the humor. Songs like “If You Were Gay” and “Everyone’s a Little Bit Racist” not only had the audience roaring but also made a clear point about society. The songs are simple but very well-sung and delivered with perfect comedic timing. “The Internet is for Porn” again delivers as both a show-stopping number and comedic genius. With every instance of vulgarity comes something intelligent, and in special circumstances, they come hand in hand.

The first song of “Avenue Q,” “It Sucks To Be Me,” expresses the angst of the 20-to-30-year-old community that has not accomplished its dreams but still manages to make everyone laugh. But no matter how much it might suck right now, this show will teach you it is only for now with a fantastic night of theater.

“Avenue Q” runs through Sunday at the Overture Theater. Tickets run from $28 to $70.