Folds is back to ‘normal’

When someone says the name Ben Folds, the first thing that comes to my mind is a goofy looking Austin Powers pianist. While this image may be true, Folds is better known for his gift of being able to satisfy fans with his lyrics and comical parodies.

Folds pleases his fans again on his newest album, Way to Normal, his third solo album since Songs for Silverman (2005), and the breakup of Ben Folds Five in 2000. Bassist Jared Reynolds and drummer Sam Smith team up with Folds to perform a slew of high energy, and occasionally profane, rock songs.

Featuring a special guest appearance by indie performer Regina Spektor; the album’s first single, “You Don’t Know Me,” comes off as a lighthearted rock song, complete with the unexpected back up violins and a harmonic chorus found more often in Spektor’s realm. The two sing a conversation: “So what I am trying to say is/ What I am trying to tell you is not going to come out like I want to say it/ Cuz I know you are going to change it/ You don’t know me at all.”

Other songs on Way to Normal reflect on Folds’ recent divorce in 2007. In an interview with Jambase.com, Folds discussed his mood and inspiration for Way to Normal: “This new album is really about me being free, which is why it feels cathartic and expressive…It’s about me coming back to being myself.”

This catharsis is unleashed on emotional pieces like “Cologne.” The slow melody begins gently with Folds playing piano in a way similar to his smash hit “Brick,” while singing softly into the microphone, “In my hotel room/ I’m wondering if you read that story too/ And if we both might be having the same imaginary conversation/ Four, three, two, one/ I’m letting you go/ I will let go if you will let go.” “Cologne” is one of the longer songs on the album, yet it offers smooth listening with Folds’ passionate voice and the soothing strokes of violin in the background.

Of course, Folds still brings his sense of humor and upbeat energy.

“Hiroshima (B B B Benny Hit His Head)” was recorded in front of a live audience and has the distinction of being the opening track of Way to Normal. It also works as a great introduction for what fans can expect in the rest of the album. The hard beats of the piano and drums, along with a string section get the audience hyped up to help sing “Ah oh, oh oh” with the backup chorus.

The most amusing — and most profane — song on Way to Normal is “Bitch Went Nuts.” Folds’ speedy hands on the piano, along with the band’s catchy melody, allow Folds to sing, “The bitch went nuts/ She stabbed my basketball/ And the speakers to my stereo.” The song might have been a way for Folds to make light of past issues he has had with women.

Way to Normal provides avid fans with the same style of agile fingers on the piano juxtaposed with hard rock that they know and love. As a whole, the album satisfies listeners on every beat, tone and lyric sung by Folds, which will surely keep fans coming back for more.

3 stars out of 5