B-52s’ first release in 16 years still fun, not complex

The year of the future could easily have been 1976. This landmark year saw the founding of Apple Computers, the first royal e-mail sent by Queen Elizabeth and the release of the first laser printer. But perhaps the most important event occurred after a drunken night in a Chinese restaurant. Five people woke up with not only hangovers, but the idea for a band that would change the face of dance music: the B-52s.

More than 30 years later, the B-52s are still going strong. Although it is hard to overcome the ubiquity associated with the band’s former hits “Love Shack” and “Rock Lobster,” their latest album certainly attempts to do so. Funplex is their ninth record, and their first after a 16-year hiatus. It is important, then, to remember that the B-52s laid the way for the new wave and dance rock scene.

Full of futuristic lyrics and danceable beats, Funplex is a welcome extension to the B-52s’ already impressive discography. The group has succeeded in updating their sound without making any drastic changes. Any fan of the band’s earlier music will not be let down, but anyone expecting a radical renovation will be disappointed.

A few tracks shine as instant dance classics. “Pump” is a perfect opener with danceable high energy, and electronica underlies the spoken opening lines. “I look at you and I’m ready to pump/ Luminous heartthrob ready to jump,” raising the pressure for a high-energy chorus. One of the meatier tracks, “Ultraviolet,” is both danceable and full of strong rock riffs. “Eyes Wide Open” also stands out, starting slowly with synth beats and soft vocals, then building up to surprise dance explosions.

While both full of amusing and quirky lyrics, “Deviant Ingredient” and “Love In The Year 3000” are musically underwhelming. In spite of their musical downfalls, it is hard not laugh along with the bandmates as they chant over driving electronic beats, “Robot, bootybot, erotobot/ Tentative tentacles are grabbing me/ We’re making space love in zero gravity.”

Funplex is, as its name suggests, fun. Yet after 30 years, the album fails to deliver something new. Part of the group’s original charm was their innovative take on the new wave and dance music scene. Don’t expect Funplex to create many new fans, but it will surely satisfy those already in existence. It’s hard not to love catchy dance music with lyrics ranging from erotic robots to outer space nebulas to worldwide parties to martinis, all with an overriding theme of pungent and overt sexuality.

The B-52s don’t pretend to be anything they’re not. Despite the lack of new musical innovations, it is good to know that the band members — all now more than 50 years old — are still rocking out full of energy. Besides providing solid dance music, the B-52s give hope that the future won’t be boring. I mean, who doesn’t want to make space love in zero gravity?

3 stars out of 5