’27 Dresses’ like 27 similar flicks

Serving as perpetual bridesmaid is hardly what most girls would believe to be their life?s calling, yet that is precisely what Jane, the central character in ?27 Dresses,? aspires to in her youth after coming to a bride?s rescue at the first wedding she ever attended. Twenty-some years later, we find Jane in New York City continuing to fulfill her requisite bridesmaid duties for two friends? weddings in a single night. And, of course, she is maid of honor for both. Too kind to refuse the role for either friend, she secretly dashes back and forth between ceremonies all night with the aid of a compliant cabbie. Jane manages to remain poised and perky through all dress changes in the taxi and is present at cake cuttings, speeches and bouquet tosses.

Sadly, these enjoyable episodes are quickly lost in the remainder of the film as the story loses momentum due to painfully drawn-out sentimental moments and unrealistic situations. One could argue that the romantic comedy genre thrives off improbability, and director Anne Fletcher (?Step Up?) certainly proves she can spin an idealistic tale with ?27 Dresses.?

Jane is played by rising star Katherine Heigl, better known for her oversensitive Izzie Stevens of ?Grey?s Anatomy? and most recently seen in the hilarious comedy ?Knocked Up.? Heigl dyed her hair a mousy brown for the role and is intended to appear like a simple, starry-eyed romantic, but she brings a fresh quality to the character with her animated and bubbly persona.

While always being the bridesmaid and never the bride seems dreadfully depressing, Jane is more than happy to be there for her friends, knowing that one day they will do the same for her. She?s never even a teensy bit bitter; that is, until her snobbish younger sister, Tess (Malin Akerman, ?The Heartbreak Kid?), comes to visit and steals away her secret crush, Jane?s can-do-no-wrong boss George (an uninspired Edward Burns, ?One Missed Call?).

Enter James Marsden (?Enchanted?) as a cynical journalist hoping to pen a feature on Heigl?s career as bridesmaid and the stage is set for standard romcom fare to pan out as well as typical plot turns, which I bet you?ve already accurately predicted.

Part of the problem with ?27 Dresses? is the full 107 minutes it spends discussing nothing but weddings. Whether it is the dreaming, planning or attending, even for the most nuptials-obsessed, the lack of grounded secondary plot threads that don?t dwell on issues of matrimony cause the dialogue to gradually become dull, repetitious chatter. A concept centering on a bulging closet of 27 bridesmaid outfits and the hopelessly romantic girl who wears them has appeal, but ultimately the film sinks into a deep ocean of its own dejection.

Heigl undoubtedly carries the film, and the camera is right to scarcely stray away from her. The few scenes without the actress are comprised of Marsden?s character, Kevin, debating matters with his compassionless editor, Maureen. This is a small spot delightfully played by Melora Hardin, aka Jan Levinson of TV?s ?The Office,? who might as well have walked off set from filming ?The Office? and into a studio next door to begin ?27 Dresses? without changing clothes or character.

However, despite Heigl?s ever-expanding resume and talent, she and Marsden lack chemistry onscreen, often appearing as close friends having a good laugh over filming a silly movie rather than potential lovers. Luckily, comedic relief comes to the rescue in many scenes in the form of Jane?s dour friend Casey (Judy Greer, ?Arrested Development?).

On a positive note, Heigl brilliantly channels Meg Ryan. Her spastic energy echoes the chick flicks Ryan became so loved for, and, given a more thoughtful script, Heigl could certainly step into Ryan?s shoes.

?

2 stars out of 5