WUD Film begins new season

With the tragic loss of University Square last year, students are left with few options to fulfill their cinematic cravings. For those too lazy or too poor to challenge the dangers of the bus transfer point and take the trek out to the mall, the Wisconsin Union Directorate Film Committee brings a free alternative to campus.

"A lot of students wonder where we have a movie theater on campus. We are that movie theater," WUD Film Director Erin Hallbauer said.

WUD Film runs several different series throughout the year and has showings at both the Memorial Union Play Circle and Union South. The International Cinema Series and Starlight Cinema Series bring avant-garde and foreign language films on a biweekly basis. The Real to Reel Series presents documentaries every month, and the Film Festival Series presents festivals throughout the year, the most popular being the Wisconsin Film Festival April 3-6. The two most popular series, MU Movies and Midnight Movies, show a wide range of films, from recent box office hits to cult classics.

In the past, MU Movies cost $3 for admission. Beginning this year, however, admission for all WUD Film movies is free. Admission to the 168 seat Play Circle will operate on first-come-first-serve hand stamp system.

"Make sure to show up at least 15 minutes early. We expect bigger crowds because of the new price," Hallbauer said.

Some of the upcoming events include "Severence" on Sept. 28 and 29, the '90s classic "Empire Records" on Sept. 29, and Michael Moore's "Sicko" on Oct. 3. The schedule of all film events can be found at union.wisc.edu/film.

The film committee also encourages students with an interest in cinema or movie recommendations to attend its weekly meetings.

"Anyone who likes film and wants a voice in what we show is welcome to come," Hallbauer said.

The film committee meets every Tuesday at 6 p.m. and is open to all UW students. Cinèphiles should consult TITU for meeting locations.