Indie rock memoir wilts

The stage, the lights, the intoxication of heavy beats and cigarette smoke — it all goes to show that rock 'n' roll is timelessly cool. Rock is something everyone can relate to — especially when the enticement of being stoned and making music isn't something that hits too far from home on the Madison campus.

In her book, "Petal Pusher: A Rock and Roll Cinderella Story," Laurie Lindeen introduces the indie rock scene with a hint of sarcasm and touch of humility. Lindeen, a former University of Wisconsin student, tells the true story of her developing band, Zuzu's Petals, and their struggle to break into the Minneapolis music industry.

A four-time college dropout and dedicated music worshiper, Lindeen's admiration of Led Zeppelin and Soul Asylum inspires her to pave her own path into the music scene. However, it isn't until after she is diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in her early 20s that Lindeen's musical ambitions begin to skyrocket.

As Lindeen dives deeper into the Minneapolis music scene, the struggles of being in an inexperienced rock band mount, but without any sense of climax. From the unglamorous life of touring to the hints of sexism in the music business, Lindeen recounts her troubles but never states her opinions, and it's difficult to empathize with some of Lindeen's scenarios when she cannot take a firm stance.

Instead of climbing to monumental peaks, the book feels more like a walk in the park, casually grazing highly controversial topics. Despite this, the book has so many small ups and downs that it's difficult to pinpoint any truly climactic points.

This is not to say that there aren't some emotionally honest moments; it is just that Lindeen writes with such overt excitement that her thoughts often get lost in the narrative's rapid pace. There is, however, such a constant pull between present and past that it's hard to differentiate when events are occurring and whether Lindeen's numerous flashbacks are indeed relevant.

Don't be confused, though, "Petal Pusher" begs to be enjoyed — loved, even. Naturally, this book should be any music lover's cup of tea, but "Petal Pusher" is no more than good dream cloud fluff for the heavy-lidded insomniac. Lindeen is ambitious and charming, but she disappoints music lovers and readers in failing to strike all the right chords.

2 1/2 stars out of 5