Doubts fade, ‘Spidey’ curiosity builds

How long can any man fight the darkness … before he finds it in himself? That's the question "Spider-Man 3" is asking, and I don't know about anyone else, but I'm fairly intrigued.

To be perfectly honest, until one week ago, I refused to jump on the "Spider-Man" bandwagon on multiple accounts. Aside from the Batman movies (but definitely not including "Batman & Robin"), the whole superhero/caped-crusader genre has never been a crucial staple in my film diet. Nothing against them, but I was never an avid comic-book reader and the whole spandex suit concept still kind of gives me the willies.

In the specific case of the "Spidey" trilogy, I also harbored a deep disdain for Mr. Tobey Maguire, spanning all the way back to my preteen viewing of "Pleasantville." The actor had about as much vocal inflection in his portrayal of David as Ben Stein had in a Clear Eyes commercial. While this was somewhat fitting, considering the storyline that took him to a grayscale world, nothing stood out about his performance — but how could someone that bland ever hope to muster the charisma needed to play a superhero? My initial thoughts immediately went back to an old episode of "Saturday Night Live" that mocked the emotionless actor during the "Weekend Update" segment. About every five seconds, the mock Maguire would hold up a compact mirror and check out his reflection. When asked about his odd behavior by "Update" anchor Tina Fey, he responded that his doctor told him to look at himself often to make sure he was still breathing. My thought exactly. However, that all changed last Saturday. After years of resisting, I caved and agreed to spend some family bonding time watching Tobey and company in the first two films over a fine West End pizza. What I saw actually surprised me.

Maguire showed signs of life as Peter Parker/Spider-Man. Kirsten Dunst didn't annoy me. Willem Dafoe was wonderful in all sorts of crazy ways (as usual) as the Green Goblin, and in the second installment, Alfred Molina proved a brilliantly kooky Doc Ock. The movies had something for everyone: a little bit of romance, comedy, some drama (poor Uncle Ben, may he rest in peace) and some decent special effects to boot.

The third installment sounds to be just as entertaining, especially given the current box office competition it's set to battle with. This time around, the trilogy sees the arachni-boy finally reaching a sort of harmony in his love life and crime-fighting alter ego. He's up for a promotion at the Daily Bugle, and things are going along just great when some devilish black substance oozes its way into the mix, stirring up a world of trouble for poor little Parker. The latest batch of villains, The Sandman and Venom, don't thrill me quite as much as Dafoe in a funny green suit, zipping around on a glider, but the prospect of Thomas Haden Church and Topher Grace as villains piques my interest.

Growing up in a house where "Wings" was once a staple, I used to think Church was only capable of playing an aloof mechanic, but I must say he stole the show in 2004's "Sideways," providing necessary comic relief — especially in the final stretches.

Also, it's difficult to comprehend how Topher Grace can possibly play a bad guy, but I'm excited to see how this decision will play out. He's goofy and awkward Eric Forman, the adorable best friend Pete in "Win a Date with Tad Hamilton," the third most eligible bachelor on my "Top Five Celebrities I Want to Marry" list — it won't be easy to watch him as a badass, but I'm confident he can shed his nice-guy image ever so slightly.

I'm also always a sucker for a happy ending. I'd love to see the investment for the most expensive film ever made (Sony shelled out the big bucks — $250 million worth of "Spidey" goodness, thanks very much) pay off. With such a weak field infesting the box office these days, it appears Peter Parker and friends will hardly have any competition. Shia LaBeouf as a peeping tom in "Disturbia," Jamie Kennedy as a middle-aged break dancer in "Kickin' in Old Skool," or "Spider-Man 3" — the choice is simple.

Fellow third installments "Shrek 3" and "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" are fast approaching, but for now, let's hope the high-flying points of the superhero extravaganza outweigh the evil. The special effects are worth the big dollars and for goodness' sake, let's pray Tobey can continue to prove me wrong.

Ashley Voss is a senior majoring in journalism. She was wrong about Maguire, but still can't stand Keanu Reeves. Yes, even in "The Matrix." Send any questions or comments to [email protected].