Fashion tips for interview success

Ever since elementary school, I have counted down the days until summer. Days of lounging around and no responsibilities seemed to always be on the horizon. When it finally came, it was pure bliss to escape the monotonous daily routines I'd developed over the course of a year. However, with the progression of my academic life, school has become significantly glummer.

Think about it — we all went from a life of nap time, chocolate milk and recess into a world where it's only natural to be regular insomniacs and crazed binge-drinkers. Now that we're all in college, our summers have undergone drastic changes, too.

More often than not, summer is filled with endless hours of work and a few hours for unwinding each night. We have to face it, though — whether we like it or not, life is getting more serious by the second. There are still endless possibilities before us, except instead of coming at us in the form of generic responsibilities, we've now moved on to making pivotal career choices.

As many near graduation or some prepare themselves for summer internships, the whole job application process is a looming and relatively time-consuming procedure. Everyone knows interviews are nearly essential in every position applied for, so they should be looked at as the way you make your personal statement, both on and off the résumé.

It should be known that the way you physically present yourself is as imperative as your credentials. So men, listen up, because this one's for you — here are just a few key steps you can take to be the brightest form of yourself with just the right amount of style to nail any job.

Focusing specifically on males for this particular piece is something that just had to be done. Half of the time, guys go to their interviews wearing what they believe is their most professional outfit, but I am sorry to say that many times they get it wrong. In most career-orientated interviews, a suit is mandatory unless told otherwise. Ditch the casual look and opt for either a black or dark navy suit, because they are classically chic and timeless.

Department stores such as Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus have great suits and often provide a tailoring service. It is highly unlikely that a suit will fit you directly off the rack, so it's tremendously important to get it tailored. Don't think that it's just a tedious procedure, because it's essential that the hem be the correct length and that the jacket fits well. Also, make sure to remove all tags and any threads that are sewn into pockets. It could be rather embarrassing to walk into an interview without removing any clashing strings of thread around particular areas.

These separate suit pieces can be satisfactorily paired with a lighter-colored shirt. The color you choose shouldn't scream to be looked at but just be more memorable than your basic white. With a little help from J.Crew, Gap and Banana Republic, classic button-downs have taken a slightly modern approach with their color schemes and have reasonable price tags.

As for the pants, make sure to stay away from pleats. Unless you want to age yourself nearly 20 years, it's a definite no-no. Pants, only to be reiterated, should fit well. You must have the correct hem and waist size, otherwise all of the money you've spent will be nearly worthless.

With the bulk of the attire being complete, to achieve a professional, yet personal look, it's essential to focus on details. Always remember that a belt should be worn in either the color of the shoes or pants that you have on and should have minimal scratches.

Along with the belt, ties are another area where many men seem to stray. There is nothing more appalling than a man in a cheap, clip-on tie. Not only are they tacky, but also they are often easy to spot. You've all reached the age where it's vital to know how to tie a tie, so if you don't know how, it's time to learn.

Ties are crucial — they can easily make or break an entire outfit. It's important to make yourself noticeable by buying a nice one in a color that complements numerous outfits or the particular shirt you've picked out for the occasion.

Shoes also play a predominant role in an outfit. The shoes should always match the belt, and in this particular situation, they should exhibit a traditional modernity. It's not to say that you have to go breaking the bank on a new pair of shoes (for most, that's a woman's job), but just be cautious about what you choose. There are some great steals at places such as DSW and numerous department stores. If you are using a pair of shoes that you already own, make sure to polish them to remove any scuff marks from previous use.

With the necessities being covered for a formal interview, there will come a time when occupations will request you to be "business casual." When the topic of business casual usually comes up, it frequently means that jeans should not be worn. Often, khakis are what's ideal or maybe even some stylish cords. As for on top, a nice polo or a tie-less button-down could be worn with a solid black or brown belt. Neatly pressed blazers could even work wonders here.

Once you have completed your ideal outfit, put on your wardrobe before the interview and see that it fits nicely. On the day of, if you wear cologne, make sure you don't overdo it. It's always smart to have a slight smell but not be bathed in it.

Though it may seem like an extensive process to acquire the perfect interview outfit, it's well worth it. Many of the pieces have the ability to be frequently used, and if purchased wisely, can maintain a timelessness over the course of many years. By directing some focus on your physical self, you cannot only help to enhance your look, but also exude professional aura that's sure to leave a lasting impression.

Lauran Sloan is a sophomore majoring in journalism. Need help picking the perfect professional garb? Send any questions or comments to [email protected].