End of ‘Punk’d’ better be true

Last week, I wrote about the end of a great show, "Extras." This week, I will be writing about the end of a not-so-great show, "Punk'd."

"Punk'd" (or as I like to call it, "The Ashton Kutcher Experiment") is supposedly ending its run with the upcoming eighth season. I say "supposedly" because Kutcher made the same claim at the end of the second season, and if you didn't catch it before, the show is now going into its eighth.

According to E! Online (a reputable source), MTV will air all eight episodes of the eighth season back-to-back April 7 in what MTV is calling a "sneak peek marathon." Apparently MTV considers watching every episode just a "peek." Officially, the eighth season will make its weekly premiere April 10.

As for airing all of the episodes on one day, I like the idea, but I'm not sure how effective it will be. For instance, every episode of "Andy Barker, P.I." could be seen on the NBC website before the show ever premiered (and still can be seen). I watched them all online and therefore feel no need to watch them on TV. I like the show, and would have watched it on TV, but I was given a much more convenient and immediate option and took it.

I understand there's a big difference between "Andy Barker, P.I." being readily available on a website and MTV airing every episode of "Punk'd" once throughout one day. However, the episodes will probably be readily available on the Internet within hours after airing during the marathon anyway.

Just eight more episodes of the show that made "punk" a verb, and then no more (supposedly)… I say, good riddance. After all, the celebrities being "punk'd" on the show rarely react in an especially funny way. OK, Justin Timberlake cried, and he probably deserved to be taken down a peg, but most celebrities just look confused, and I feel no need to laugh at a person's confusion. Unless they react in a stranger way than I would react, who am I to laugh at them?

Plus, compared to what gets leaked on the Internet these days, for instance on a website like TMZ.com, "Punk'd" is child's play. I just don't find it entertaining. The same goes for TMZ.com, but that's a whole other subject.

I was also pleased when MTV announced it was no longer going to run new episodes of "Jackass." I hate "Jackass" with a passion, perhaps even a bit more than "Punk'd."

You know when you watch "America's Funniest Home Videos" and you get annoyed with the videos that seem set up? That's what "Jackass" is — one set-up home video after another. The people involved are already aware of their stupidity and very little that transpires is a true accident. I am never caught off guard while watching it. There is absolutely nothing shocking about "Jackass," and therefore, it is void of the humor it attempts to present.

By the way, I do not consider the sight of bodily fluids, bodily harm or other bodily functions shocking. I have had a body for most of my life and am aware of what bodies can do.

However, a well-timed, clever, legitimately funny joke about suicide, abortion or rape — now that's shocking. Not to mention incredibly hard to pull off. I'm not talking about easy references just to be offensive (e.g. Larry the Cable Guy). I'm talking about well-written material that is both a reference to and a commentary on the politically incorrect subject matter (see David Cross).

Hell, a legitimately funny joke about anything is hard to pull off. On the other hand, overdosing on eggs or putting leeches on one's eyeball is just plain stupid and, frankly, incredibly simple.

Just when I thought I was rid of "Jackass," there came the theatrical release and success of "Jackass: The Movie" and "Jackass Number Two." I haven't seen "Number Two," but the original was just more of the show on a bigger screen. All I ask is that there not be a "Punk'd" movie.

"Viva la Bam" and "Wildboyz" also continued the "Jackass" legacy on television. "Viva la Bam" eventually went away, only to make room for "Bam's Unholy Union." I don't blame the guys of "Jackass" for these shows and movies. If I got offered a bunch of money to act like an idiot, it would be hard to pass up. I blame MTV and the people who watch. Stop encouraging them. They're like pathetic class clowns — if they hear even one laugh, they're going to keep doing the same thing.

I assume my views on all of these shows may be unpopular with my college colleagues, but I also figure no one is reading my column today. And if you are, I hope you're lying on a beach using this newspaper to shield your face from the sun. Otherwise, if you are sitting at home watching MTV for its spring break coverage, I recommend using this newspaper to shield your face from the stupidity.

Mike Peters is a senior focusing on communication arts, film and business. How does The Badger Herald work as a sun/stupidity shield? Let Mike know at [email protected].