Band hoping to Profit by lineup, name change

The Profits have consistently been one of the most well-known bands in Madison, but recently the group has gone through significant changes in their lineup.

John Paul Roney remains the face of the Profits as the lead singer, and Ben Schaefer remains on drums, but the band lost its bassist and guitar player over the summer. However, their replacements are both familiar faces to the group. Stefan Benkowski, the new bass player, is a friend of Schaefer's from their hometown, and guitarist Matt Holmen is a friend of Roney's from their hometown.

The band recently became more serious in their musical endeavors, so they've taken it up full time and have stopped going to school.

"We all knew we'd end up doing something with music," Schaefer said. "It didn't make sense to do anything else. We just love what we're doing."

Both Roney and Schaefer were students at the University of Wisconsin while Holmen went to school in Chicago and Benkowski in New York. Over the summer, the two were contacted by their friends and decided to join the group as well.

The band joked that together they collectively have gone to college for six years and that they could probably teach a class — a preschool class.

It appears as if the group dynamic has changed along with the members, but they've bonded immensely during their recent tours. The band has traveled across the country — in a van that, according to band members, smells like feet — to various college towns, including Iowa City, Minneapolis and Boston.

One of their favorite memories happened after a show at Gettysburg University. The group recreated the historic battle of Gettysburg using Charleston Chews and licorice as guns and Good and Plenty's as grenades.

While touring, the band has been able to build up a fan base outside of Madison. Schaefer and Roney have been touring as the Profits consistently for two years now. And according to Roney, constant touring is the best way to connect with people.

But the group agrees that Madison is the best place to perform.

"Madison is like nothing else. Every time we play here it's a memorable event," Roney said. "And each time we play, we try and make the show bigger than the last."

The band is back in Madison this weekend for a show at the Rathskellar, performing Saturday at 9:30 p.m. The performance is a milestone for the group, not just because they are back in Wisconsin, but because they will no longer be the Profits. The band will now perform as John Paul Roney and We the Living.

"We have new people, some new music and a new vibe," Roney said. "It just didn't feel right to keep the same name."

"We're so excited to play some new songs at the show and just to have a rejuvenated band," Schaefer said. "And playing in Madison — it's always good to be back."

The name We The Living comes from the group's interest in philosophy. They strongly believe that philosophy, along with individualism, is what's missing in America.

Roney said the main difference between the Profits and We The Living is an increase in maturity level. One example he cited is that the songs on their last two records were not exactly a joint effort. The songs were either written by Roney or the band's former guitarist, and whoever wrote a song got to sing it.

"Now it's one band and one voice. We're not as one dimensional, and we can do a lot more with that," Roney said. "We hope the new band can keep our fans' interest and bring in people who are into something the Profits couldn't offer before."

The group also agreed that there is more energy and more excitement on stage than there was in the past.

"We have a little broader sound now, too," Benkowski added. "Being a bassist, and with Matt on electric guitar, we just have a different tone to our music."

The group, which will officially change its name to We The Living during Saturday's show, performs many of the same songs as the Profits, but they have been working on a lot of new ones as well. In fact, the band is leaving for California after the show this weekend to record some of those songs for an EP. They have 30 to choose from, but have to narrow it down to six, which may prove to be a difficult decision.

But that didn't seem to even cross their minds — what's important right now is their upcoming performance at the Rathskellar.

"I feel like this is going to be a great close to the Profits," Roney said. "And there's no other city we'd rather do it in."