Famous cast fails to thrill in ‘The Sentinel’

Michael Douglas and Kiefer Sutherland are starring in a movie together. Who else is shocked that it is a suspense thriller? Or that it involves the President of the United States? Not to mention, an assassination plot? Oh, no one? Yeah, well then don't expect any other surprises either.

Based on the novel of the same name by former Secret Service Agent Gerald Petevich, "The Sentinel" centers on Pete Garrison (Douglas, "The In-Laws"). Not only well liked but also well trusted, the man is a legend within the Service. Now Garrison serves as one of the personal bodyguards for the First Lady of the United States (Kim Basinger, "Cellular").

That is about as much concrete exposition as the audience gets when all of a sudden a fellow agent is fatally shot off-duty. Then the real confusion begins. Garrison sets out to uncover the mystery surrounding the death, as the victim was supposedly one of his closest friends. He learns from a trusted informant that the killing is the result of getting too close to uncovering an assassination plot against the President. Subsequent intel from the informant proves that there is a mole within the Secret Service aiding the conspirators.

Enter the Private Investigation Division, led by the hard-nosed David Breckinridge (Kiefer, FOX's "24"). Along with his rookie partner Jill Marin (Eva Longoria, ABC's "Desperate Housewives"), the two are forced with the daunting task of investigating the plot and revealing the mole's true identity. Polygraphs ensue, along with a growing suspicion that no one can be trusted.

While viewers are still trying to make sense of things, the evidence starts to point toward Garrison. The mole has systematically framed him and Breckinridge wants Garrison in cuffs. Cornered and desperate to prove his innocence, he runs.

The basic plotline of "The Sentinel" is capable of some good suspense and action. The complicated set-up, though, takes an hour to play out — over half the film. All that remains is a series of intricate chase sequences, where Garrison eludes the authorities while still managing to uncover substantial evidence about the mole's identity. Although these scenes certainly amp up the intensity factor and start to defog the confusion, they leave the audience unsatisfied. A film cannot switch gears halfway through and expect the viewer to be okay with such a transformation.

Throw in Garrison's shady relationship with the First Lady, Breckinridge's animosity toward Garrison for an alleged affair with his wife and a handful of underdeveloped pieces of the story and "The Sentinel" ends up tripping over itself, instead of unraveling like a good political thriller should.

As for the acting, once again Hollywood has managed to assemble what should be an amazing cast that only ends up in almost complete disappointment. Douglas maintains a relatively even performance and definitely carries the film well as the protagonist — probably the one saving grace of "The Sentinel."

Sutherland and Basinger, however, sleep walk through their roles. Contrasting with the intense tone of the film, both portray their characters in an absolutely bland manner. Only one dimension comes across in their personalities. Breckinridge is a furious hothead, while the First Lady is constantly a damsel in distress. No more, no less — leading to a complete lack of interest from the audience.

Longoria is by far the most interesting to see in "The Sentinel." Why wouldn't she be? This role is completely unexpected from her. The actress has gone from soaps to "Desperate Housewives" and now she decides she is going to play a government agent. She has traded in the sexy stilettos for some sensible slacks — and she pulls it off quite well. But, unfortunately, her character is almost completely brushed aside, not giving her enough to work with.

Despite its faults, the overall feel of "The Sentinel" remains slightly mixed. At times it brings to mind to the suspense thrillers of the 90s, such as "In the Line of Fire" and "The Fugitive" — now classics in their own right. It even returns to the old formula of making the Russians the bad guys instead of today's go-to baddies, the Middle Easterners. Still, the film remains in limbo — not up to snuff with today's blockbusters, yet not as fun as those of the previous decade.

But no matter what, there is one thing that "The Sentinel" accomplishes rather effectively — determining the future careers of two of television's biggest names. After seeing the film, there is no doubt that Kiefer Sutherland will ever shed himself of Jack Bauer, while Eva Longoria actually shows signs of a life after Wisteria Lane.

Rating: 2 out of 5