Buckcherry breaks lengthy hiatus

For those of you who missed them the first time around, Buckcherry is a group of rockers who were originally touted as being the next Guns N' Roses. Well, after a four-year hiatus, the band is back, slightly remodeled. Original lead singer Josh Todd and lead guitarist Keith Nelson remain, but the three other members have been replaced with guitarist Steve D, drummer Xavier Muriel and bassist Jimmy Ashhurst. Despite these changes, the original sound still remains on the band's new album, 15.

According to Todd on the band's website, "We went into the studio and vowed not to come out until we had a successful, ass-kicking, career-defining album." And that's exactly what they did, as they finished the album in 15 days — hence the title of the album. This time around, it wasn't about selling records or making people happy. It was about doing what they wanted. Buckcherry tried going the fame route before, but the band's history shows that it didn't quite work out as planned.

According to Nelson on the same website, they tried to create music that fills what the band refers to as a "void for classic rock with a modern edge." With that goal in mind, the band got the job done. Their first single — by far the best on the CD — is "Crazy Bitch," which is the rock world's version of T-Pain's "I'm in Luv (Wit a Stripper)." With a chorus of "You're a crazy bitch / but you f-ck so good, I'm on top of it. / When I dream, I'm doing you all night. / Scratches all down my back to keep me right on," how could anyone not like it?

Sadly, it goes a little downhill from there, but don't worry too much. The first track off 15 is "So Far." It also has a catchy chorus detailing why the band is in the music business: "I didn't do it for money, I did it all for free / I did it all to fill the f-cking hole inside of me." Rather simply put.

The rest of the album is quite diverse, varying genres from blues tinged to country-esque to ballads. The only thing the band is missing is more harmony in its songs, but that may just be wishful thinking. Still, after taking a look around the current music world, almost every good group has at least a little harmony.

"Next to You" is also a song with a great hook. It's typical of Buckcherry, as it expresses more tales of debauchery. This is what sets the band apart from the Black Crowes, to whom it is often compared. Instead of singing about relationships like Chris Robinson, Todd sings purely about having sex.

What more is there to say? If you like rock music, try this CD. 15 is a compilation of good songs — nothing amazing, but it's definitely worth listening to.

Rating: 3 out of 5