Film festival bringing quality cinema to campus

Bummed out about missing Sundance? Writhing in anticipation for Cannes? Well the solution is simple. Anyone looking to find the cure for filmfest-itis need not go any farther than their own backyard.

Today marks the opening day of the 2006 Wisconsin Film Festival. For the past seven years, the film fest has steadily grown, as each spring it invades a number of different venues throughout downtown Madison. Put together by the UW Arts Institute, the festival showcases new independent features from around the globe, as well as documentaries, experimental films, shorts and so on.

But the Wisconsin Film Festival is much more than just movies. From awards and parties to book signings and panel discussions, the Wisconsin Film Festival makes the cinema an interactive experience. The UW Arts Institute and its gaggle of volunteers have worked tirelessly to combine cinema with the community — even down to the programming, as the festival offers a series called Wisconsin's Own Filmmakers, featuring the work of local directors and students.

So what exactly are the must-sees? As far as dramatic features go, on top of everyone's list should be "Isolation." Part of the current resurgence of British horror, the film recalls the genius of many cult classics. Terror ensues on a secluded Irish farmstead when genetic engineering on cows goes completely haywire. (Pun intended, but at least a lame mad-cow joke was avoided.) Just as intriguing and in continuation with the bovine theme is "The Milk Can." The film is a witty satire about small-town football rivalry that turns into all-out war.

More in the mood for big name stars? The film fest has those too. Worth checking out is "The King" starring Gael García Bernal ("The Motorcycle Diaries") as a long-lost son who corrupts a devoutly religious family, as well as "Little Fish," where Cate Blanchett ("The Aviator") churns out a powerful performance as a recovering heroin addict.

Furthering its diversity, the festival also presents a great chance to take in a variety of foreign language films. The German "Night of the Living Dorks" is a teen-comedy that hilariously tackles the zombie genre. A tale about three geeks who turn into the undead, the film is an absolute riot from start to finish. Grittier in nature, the Brazilian "Almost Brothers" is a tale about the turbulent friendship between an affluent senator and a criminal from the slums. From Denmark and Iran to Burkina Faso and Lebanon — all corners of the world are present at the film fest.

A nice alternative to the narrative films is present in the many stunning documentaries the festival has to offer. At a sold-out Beastie Boys concert in 2004, 50 different audience members became amateur videographers for "Awesome: I F-ckin' Shot That!" Candid and fast-paced, it is a passionate look at the energetic atmosphere inherent in one of the band's shows. On the political side of things, "Our Brand is Crisis" is an enthralling look into U.S. involvement in the 2002 Bolivian presidential election. It poignantly questions how much power marketing should have in the spread of democracy. And then there is the seemingly absurd "Czech Dream," which chronicles two Czech filmmakers as they run an intense marketing campaign for a massive supermarket. Just one catch — the store will never exist.

To check out all the times and locations as well as the rest of the movie listings, log on to Wifilmfest.org or pick up one of the many film guides that have been distributed throughout Madison. Tickets can be purchased online or at the box office, which is located on the second floor of Memorial Union. Although some advance tickets have already sold out (including the aforementioned "Night of the Living Dorks" and "Our Brand is Crisis"), the festival reserves a small quantity of tickets that can be purchased the day of the show. And students get in cheaper, so be sure to bring along a student ID.

Whether opting to see nearly a dozen films this weekend or just checking out one, the Wisconsin Film Festival provides the perfect opportunity to enjoy a good time at the movies while getting the chance to see something different.