Harper shows Both Sides on latest

Ben Harper's first mainstream release was Welcome to the Cruel World in 1994. Since then he has been a major force in the music scene, touring constantly since 1997 and recording with other great musical talents, like Jack Johnson and the Blind Boys of Alabama. With his seventh studio release, Both Sides of the Gun, he has created something completely different from any of his other albums.

Harper is known mainly for his soothing sounds; however, that isn't the case with this CD. Half of the songs are slower, while the other half rock harder. Instead of trying to strike a balance between the two, he decided to go with the name of one of his songs "Both Sides of the Gun," and create a dual album.

Although it is two discs, it clocks in at just over an hour. The first, "soft" disc starts with the ballad "Morning Yearning" which Harper admits evokes the sound of Nick Drake. "Reason to Mourn" follows along with the love theme that occurs on the first disc. Harper's voice resonates and pleads, sounding so desperate; the guitar wails and mimics the sound of crying followed by an amazing guitar solo, which isn't all that surprising because the album is full of them. Ending the first half of songs is one of devotion, "Happy Ever After is in Your Eyes." Full of sentimental lyrics, it sounds like a serenade to Harper's wife, actress Laura Dern.

Overall, the first disc will please those who are fans of Harper's mellower music. Those who wish that he would rock out more often will appreciate the second disc, which starts off with the psychedelic sounding "Better Way." This track blends several different genres of music by incorporating the sitar and ending with what sounds like a drum line. At first there are some great harmonies, but out of nowhere Harper screams, "Reality is sharp, it cuts at me like a knife / Everyone I know is in the fight of their lives / and I believe there's a better way." Although it is out of place, it shows the desperation Harper feels toward the need to change our society.

The rest of the album has a classic rock feel. One of the standouts is "Engraved Invitation," which has an extremely unique sound. "Black Rain," on the other hand sounds like it could be one of many Bob Marley songs; it also covers socio-political content, much like Marley did. Harper comments on Hurricane Katrina by singing, "You left them swimming for their lives down in New Orleans / can't afford a gallon of gasoline / With your useless degrees and your contrary statistics / this government business is straight up sadistic."

Ending the album is the anthemic "Serve Your Soul," which may be in reference to Harper's musical career. He hasn't made a living from making hit singles, but from his stable fan base and relentless touring. Most record labels force artists to sing certain types of songs ("They all want you to serve them / but the only one you've got to serve is your soul.") However, Harper's has allowed him to do, essentially whatever he wanted, which is what differentiates him from many other artists.

Both Sides of the Gun shows the dichotomy that is Ben Harper. With his smooth tenor voice, he is not only able to calm your mind, but is also able to create some incredible rock songs. So, whatever mood you are in, one of these discs will have the music to satiate your musical appetite.

Rating: 4 out of 5