Evolving Aguilera, Stevens

Everyone, it seems, is on the search to "find themselves." Instilled in us at an early age, the belief that we are all on individual journeys — journeys that are supposed to end with us realizing our inner self — is one that is central to this adventure we call life.

A number of people much smarter than I am have commented on this belief, but it is George Bernard Shaw's words on the subject that really resonate with me. The dramatist wrote, "Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." I've always liked this idea, and it is part of the reason, I think, why I find the world of music so appealing.

Bands, and the musicians who compose them, have always embraced the quest for unending creativity. In a world of constantly changing sounds and setups, musicians are challenged to stay one step ahead of the game, continually producing new and innovative musical stylings. This usually leads to the reinvention of individual artists (Prince, anyone?). This recreation is what makes the music world interesting, keeping both musicians and listeners on their toes.

Take, for example, one of the greatest (and my personal favorite) artists of all time: Bob Dylan. Dylan is the King of Reinvention. Aside from being just so damn cool, Bob (I can call him that because we're just that close) is the kind of musician who constantly strives to change with the times, never encapsulating one style for too long.

From acoustic folk to the electric rock to lyrics with a blatant religious focus, Dylan's music has had such staying power because as a musician the man isn't afraid to stretch and change. It's a smart idea, really, because the more fluid a musician can be, the greater reach they will have in bringing in new and different types of fans.

There's a reason why there were just as many high schoolers at Bob Dylan's show at the Rave last spring as there were older adults. Every sector of the musician's audience can find a Dylan era that excites them. Though each stage of Dylan's career shows a different side of the musician's talent, each is an authentic part of his person.

As expected, Dylan's live performances reflect the very core of his music philosophy. Expecting to hear "Like a Rolling Stone" and "Hurricane" as I knew them, I was pleasantly surprised the first time I saw Dylan perform his hits on stage. The artist even recreates himself on stage, changing the time-weathered melodies of his greatest hits and showing an audience what true musicianship can be like. Bob Dylan knows what Shaw was talking about and will continue, I believe, to create and reveal new sides of his persona for the rest of his musical career.

Boasting a philosophy similar to that of Bob Dylan is the musical prowess and sheer impressive skill of Detroit born singer-songwriter Sufjan Stevens. Slowly but very surely making his way onto the national scene, Stevens is a prime example of an artist consistently broadening his musical horizons and keeping audiences waiting on his next move with bated breaths.

Taking on the lofty project of creating an album for each of the United States of America, Stevens already has two — Greetings from Michigan and Illinois — under his belt. Both albums showcase a different aspect of the musician's style, using the common threads of poetical lyrics and insanely good arrangements to serve as foundation for his increasing and ever-changing talent. Based on his past endeavors and the promise of future ones, Sufjan Stevens knows that stretching himself as an artist is more important and more rewarding than producing a quick, cookie-cutter record.

This all-important musical lesson is one that appears to have been finally learned by the Genie in a Bottle herself, Christina Aguilera. According to MTV.com, the pop-star princess has apparently decided to turn over a new leaf, creating an album that is about as far from her normal musical persona as one could get.

As told to MTV, Aguilera describes her new album, due out this spring, as a throwback to the retro sounds of the '40s: "Some of the songs are kept authentic, sticking to a really raw, old-soul sound, where others combine elements of old blues, jazz and soul with a hard modern-day edge."

I've heard clips of a few songs off Aguilera's new album, and, as shocked as I am to say it, the singer might have successfully accomplished what she set out to do. The songs are infused with a retro feel and, from what I could tell, show a side of the vocalist that is far from her "What a Girl Wants" and "Dirrty" days. Props to you, Christina — here's hoping your transformation is true and one that will keep you from reverting back to your old ways.

It's frustrating when artists fail to understand this point, continually producing the same sounds, the same songs, the same albums over and over again. Though it can be nice to always count on a band for a certain type of sound, there comes a point when all you want as a listener is to hear something new, something that proves that an artist is more than a one-sound musician. For example, though I really like the Early November and Dashboard Confessional and know that I can count on them to provide a guaranteed level of emo-ness, I can't help but crave a different sound from them.

No one likes to hear the same sounds constantly coming from the same artists — the music scene isn't, and shouldn't be, about monotony. The beauty of music is that sounds and the musicians who produce them are meant to change and grow. From musical legends to indie artists to mainstream divas, musicians should know that the search for true identity, musical or otherwise, isn't a quest. It is, rather, a creation.

Laura Stanelle is a sophomore planning to major in journalism. She can be reached for question or comment at [email protected].