'Law & Order' orginal still best

The original is the best.

This statement rings true for many things, from KFC's original recipe to the original creepy fast-food chain mascot (Burger King's aptly named, "the King") to the first "Jurassic Park" and "Cape Fear."

The phrase is also a new slogan for TNT's almost endless stream of "Law and Order" reruns. I don't even think new ones have been made for a decade. "The original is the best," denoting that the original "Law and Order" series is better than the eventual spin-offs, including "Trial by Jury," "Special Victims Unit," "Criminal Intent" and "Tactical Submarine Squad." Pretty soon NBC will show nothing but different "Law and Order"s during the week … and the Olympics.

But, for once, TNT is telling the truth. "Law and Order" Version 1.0 is the best. The reasons are plethoric, and the long-running drama's moral compass remains unwavering.

Not since Batman swooped into primetime did America want the protagonist (the detectives and prosecutors of "Law and Order") to "get the bad guy." Whap-Pow! You're guilty of felony murder!" I can even imagine ACLU lawyers huddled around a television with a bowl of popcorn saying, "You get 'em, Jack McCoy."

Needless to say, the characters are great in the original version. Lenny Briscoe so convincingly plays a recovering-alcoholic police detective with a troubled daughter — there's no chance that seems contrived. Better than some old Marine from "SVU" wanting to pummel sex offenders. Put the cuffs on that old hat!

And the characters easily have much more staying power. Hell, Detective Briscoe was on the beat for 27 of the show's 46 seasons.

Only old, liberal prosecutor Jack McCoy can make defendants cringe in his shocked expression aimed at whatever judge is presiding over the case.

Unlike the spin-offs, "Law and Order" puts focus on both prosecution and the detective work. This inherently leads to educational experiences. NBC and TNT fulfill the educational programming requirement by airing the show twenty times a day. I've learned all my Latin from "Law and Order," "Da Vinci's Code" and old vampire movies. There is also a connection between police and court worker people — something most Americans would never know had it not been for "Law and Order." This beats the kind of learning taking place on the likes of "SVU," which is best described as creepy, icky and rapey.

But, if you're into the watching for looks department, hardly anything can beat the cast of the "O." Not only can he not act, Ice-T looks like a mean pit bull. I've been told Mr. Big looks good for an older man, but he started out in Version 1.0, as a younger looking Det. Logan. Det. Green has also melted quite a few hearts — and he can speak Spanish: the language of amor. I don't mean to keep on talking about the hunky men of the show, because the leading ladies offer an unending well of material for the spank bank. "SVU" does not have Abbie Carmicheal or Serena Southerlyn. The amount of dirtied socks on Jack McCoy's sexy and very professional assistants staggers common logic.

But, in the end, the entire "Law and Order" universe is connected. Det. Logan went to jail for some time after pummeling a bad guy post-trial, took a long hiatus, became a business man where he changed his name, then came back as Det. Logan on the team of "SVU." Occasionally the different departments overlap, when the tactical submarine squad had a case involving a rape in the middle of Long Island Sound, then a body was dumped on Manhattan Island somewhere. And we're all connected to "Law and Order" a little bit — Noth is a Madisonian by birth.

But if you don't believe me about the importance of "Law and Order" educating viewers about the human condition, just turn on your TV. Odds are it's on right now.

Matt Dolbey is a UW senior. He can be seen building a shrine to Lenny Briscoe on library mall most days. He can be reached at [email protected].