Local group up-and-coming

College towns across America have long been the birthplace of great music. From Athens, Ga., home to the University of Georgia as well as R.E.M. and The B-52's, to Austin, Texas, the location of University of Texas and birthplace of Spoon and You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead, countless bands have gotten their break in such alternative music hot spots. The local Madison music scene has plenty of bands, but the majority of these groups simply do not have the talent to move to the next level. One of the few that already are making waves elsewhere in the country are local music exemplars Secondhand, who appeared at Madison Avenue last Friday night in support of their new album, In The Wake. Already in their short career, the band has released three EPs in addition to this, their first full-length album and has played over 40 shows across the Midwest, mainly in Chicago, Milwaukee and of course, their hometown of Madison. In January, they will be featured in an issue of the Milwaukee-based M Magazine. Led by singer/songwriter Jake Shimon, the band blends a number of different sounds into a tight fusion of solid rock music. Shimon pulls off the Jack Johnson meets Matchbox 20 meets Jimmy Eat World sound with relative ease. The funky bass-driven hooks of Nick Danola also help jazz up the group's sound — there's nothing flashy or wildly experimental here, just steady, catchy, straightforward music. Throughout In The Wake, the band exhibits their cohesiveness. This may be due in part to brothers Derek and Blake Arnold, on lead guitar/backup vocals and drums, respectively. When asked about the opportunity to play with his brother, Derek said, "We've been playing together since Blake was a freshman in high school so we're pretty familiar with each other. We definitely have the same musical ear and we get along so well that it's very positive for the band."

Secondhand has already faced a great deal of turmoil in its short lifespan. Last year, the band replaced former bassist Jason Shafton with Nick Danola, who attended high school with the rest of the bandmates in their hometown of Mequon, Wisc. Danola instantly fit right in with the band, learning all of their songs in an impressively short 10 days — just in time for their most important show to date, appearing as the opening act for Local H at Luther's Blues. The band still has a few obstacles to clear, though — Blake Arnold will be studying abroad for several months, necessitating the band to find a temporary replacement for the drummer. There are several candidates in consideration, although the band does have one unnamed person in mind. Despite these setbacks, Shimon has confidence in his band's talent saying, "I've put a lot into this. It's a long shot, but I believe in our music." Things seem to be on the up and up for Secondhand. There is a documentary being produced about them, their music is being played on radio stations around Madison, as well as St. Louis, and their website has been receiving over a thousand hits a month, translating into continued growth in their fan base.

Another reason for the growth in Secondhand's popularity can be attributed to the development and refinement of their sound. Derek Arnold says that while their sound used to be more "pop-rock," it is now much more "rock-pop." Shimon pulls together many different influences to create a sound, which he makes his own. At times he sounds very much like Chad Urmston of Dispatch, as he does on "In The Wake," probably the best song on the album, with its catchy guitar riffs and a powerful hook of a chorus. Singing, "I'm just gonna say/ I want you to stay away/ You're always making waves/ Making waves/ Always making waves," Shimon shows off his vocal range on the song, changing his singing style dramatically and with ease. He displays the same talent on the track "Anymore," moving between pop and rock as he matches his talent for writing lyrics with his talent for expressing them. Shimon and company display great potential and, despite what even they admit to be a long road ahead of them, today's musical climate will always have room for another band that can appeal to a wide variety of audiences. Secondhand surely does this. If there is going to be a band which can make Madison a college town music hot spot, Secondhand is certainly up there with the best of them. Their newest album In The Wake proves that its members have the talent to move beyond the local scene and into the national spotlight.

Grade: A