Late musical introduction produces talented singer

When an artist is a product of extraordinary circumstances, his or her music is usually of the same caliber. James Blunt, a new and flowering musician boasting such circumstances, has created mind-blowing rock.

Born in Hampshire, England, Blunt's family was made up of militant individuals who instilled in the musician at an early age that the military would undoubtedly be his future. The family didn't understand the music world, never owned a CD player and had only three CDs for the car stereo. At the age of 14, Blunt held and played his first guitar, relishing in the musical world that his parents never took an interest in. He began to write music then and there.

Blunt's musical career was quickly put on hold, however, when, at the tender age of 16, he got his pilot's license, soon after attending Brighton College for aerospace manufacturing. He then joined the army, fulfilling his family's deep-seeded wishes. While in the army, he wrote songs and carried his guitar on the side of the tank he drove, never forgetting his passion for music. After serving with peacekeeping troops in Kosovo, Blunt returned to England and began his music career in 2002. By 2003, the musician moved to L.A., where he met Linda Perry (producer for Christina Aguilera and Pink). Perry immediately fell in love with Blunt's sounds and signed him to her label, Custard Records.

Blunt's debut album, Back to Bedlam, is a heartfelt ensemble of songs about his past, present and future. His voice is refined and reminiscent of Elton John, whom he claims as one of his inspirations. There is a symphonic combination of guitar and piano present on the album that, when combined with his smooth voice, soothes the soul. While Blunt's songs aren't totally upbeat, they carry listeners to a happier place, sometimes a place lost in the past.

The album's first song, "Goodbye My Lover," opens with a tranquil piano melody and Blunt singing softly and leisurely. As he sings, he becomes more forceful, more emotional. When he sings, "Goodbye my love / goodbye my friend / you have been the one / you have been the one for me," he conveys the pain and, at the same time, the gratitude he has felt. The entire song is a mournful combination of piano and Blunt's soprano voice.

The song "Wisemen" begins with a perfect combination of piano, acoustic guitar, xylophone and triangle. Blunt's voice is lower; he sings with fast-paced urgency. The chorus becomes harmonious when the violin kicks in and the drums recede into the background, one hard beat. When Blunt sings, "Look who's alone now / It's not me / It's not me / Those three wise they've gotta send me by the sea," his voice is questioning and contemplative.

The track "You're Beautiful" is actually quite lovely in melody and guitar-playing. While the song starts with a slow strumming and simple plucking on the acoustic guitar, the guitar quickly recedes into the background as Blunt starts singing and the drums kick in. The drums are deliberate and supple as they are lightly tapped and brushed. The acoustic guitar takes over when James is not singing, plucked sweetly and peacefully. Blunt's voice is even lower on this track and not quite as refined as he sings, "You're beautiful / I saw your face in a crowded place / and I don't know what to do / 'cause I'll never be with you." His words are heartbreaking and sure to move anyone who listens.

The album is a spectacular sensation for a first-time artist who never experienced the joys of music until his early teenage years. What's more impressive is his ability to show emotion not only through words, but also through his voice and the composition of instruments. James Blunt has slid into the rock genre almost soundlessly, but is creating a buzz that will surely keep him there.

Grade: A