Summer quest for best barbeque ends in success

The subtle change in the air from cool to warm during the transition of seasons signifies liberation for those that feel isolated and trapped in their homes during an unbearable Madison winter. The summer months are notorious for weddings, family reunions, picnics and pool parties. People tend to embrace any opportunity to get outside in the favorable weather. But what most characterizes summer for many people is the art of barbecue.

There is something about the smoky air from burning charcoal and wood that gets our endorphins kicking and our taste buds perked. Tackling the challenge of eating ribs is primal yet pleasing — no utensils, sauce smeared across your face, chunks of meat stuck in your teeth — and there is just nothing like sucking on a rib bone. In fact, I look forward to barbecue season all year long. But with restaurants dedicating themselves to providing the sultry scent of wood burning and meat cooking for us, why wait?

In search of the perfect barbecue restaurant in Madison, I stumbled on a select few. Though they may not compare to the barbecue heavyweights of the South, our own little slice of heaven offers barbecue joints that measure fairly close.

Famous Dave’s Bar-B-Que (900 S. Park St.) is a franchised chain restaurant, yet quite the accomplished establishment. The St. Louis Style Ribs (ranging from $12.99-$18.99) have won “Famous Dave” Anderson the award for best barbecue ribs from the Isthmus magazine, Madison magazine and The Capital Times for the past several years.

According to Bob Hiller, manager of the South Park Street location, what distinguishes Famous Dave’s from other barbecue restaurants in Madison is the authenticity of its down-home, Southern atmosphere.

“It promotes a relaxed feeling similar to [the] barbecue shacks in the South, with wood floors and planks and artifacts decorating the walls,” said Hiller.

Of the three restaurants I visited, Famous Dave’s has the most extensive menu. Real ‘que lovers will enjoy the Georgia Chopped Pork ($7.59) and Texas Beef Brisket Sandwiches ($7.99). A two-meat combination platter ($12.99) is available, as well as a variety of hamburgers and chicken dishes. Creative ingredients are tossed together for Dave’s Sassy BBQ Salad ($8.59), and two fish dishes are available.

All entrees are smothered with the award-winning rich and sassy barbecue sauce, also available for purchase ($2.99) at any Famous Dave’s location and local grocery stores. Additional sauces include Hot and Sassy, Texas Pit, Sweet and Zesty, Devil’s Spit, Georgia Mustard and Smokey Chipotle. For side dishes, try the warm, cinnamon-flavored Drunkin’ Apples and sample the Corn Bread Muffin. To see the menu online or get additional information, visit www.famousdaves.com.

Smoky Jon’s #1 BBQ (2310 Packers Ave.) has been a Madison tradition for 30 years. Independent and locally owned, “Smoky Jon” Olson has dedicated his life to perfecting the art of the wood-burned, finger-lickin’ barbecue. Smoky Jon has represented Wisconsin in barbecue competitions throughout the United States and has secured over a dozen world championships.

According to manager Joel Latham, Smoky Jon’s mission is to produce award-winning quality food for every customer. “The quality of our meat preparation sets us apart from other barbecue restaurants in the area.”

The restaurant’s log-cabin interior is small and cozy, seating only 24 patrons. Best sellers on the menu are the half ($11.45) and full ($17.95) slab rib dinners. All dinners are accompanied by two side dishes, which include traditional fare like baked beans and corn as well as the unfamiliar, sugar-fried biscuits.

Additionally, the half-pound ($6.45) or one-pound ($8.45) ground sirloin burgers with real Wisconsin cheddar on an extra-large sesame-seed bun are simply mouthwatering.

While the barbecue sauce was too spicy for my liking, it has won many awards. Smoky Jon made the sauce himself by combining a tomato base with bits of onion and a variety of spices. The result was a thick sauce with snap. The gourmet sauce is available for purchase ($3.95) at Smoky Jon’s #1 BBQ. Further information is available at www.smokyjons.com.

Other barbecue joints worthy of checking out are Fat Jack’s Barbecue (6207 Monona Dr.) and Smokey Bones Barbeque and Grill (418 S. Gammon Rd.). Both establishments offer ribs with tender meat that fall right off the bone. If your desire to find the best barbecue restaurant in Madison mirrors mine, you won’t go wrong with any of these restaurants.