Drink offerings at Terrace appeal to summer cravings

With the recent trend of spring warmth in town, almost every place has opened its own version of outdoor eating. Most places line State Street with garden furniture and apparently think it’s great that customers can dine outside.

Of course, this idea has downfalls. Dining outside on State Street is not conducive to an insatiable dining experience. Those loud buses roaring past can drown a conversation with someone and diners receive an audience of people while trying to eat a peaceful meal. It’s almost like that scene from “Finding Nemo” with the turtle on the seaway. The exception is that people pass by a lot slower.

A few fine establishments have better options and a few are worth checking out. However, it is necessary to note that nobody can come close to our fine drinking patio known to all as “the Terrace.”

We’ve all been there at least once. How do I know? Every tour of the campus ends at our fine patio at tour’s end. Or, it did when I got it a few years ago. I cannot imagine that the route has changed that much, either. And why should it? The Terrace is the cornerstone of any University of Wisconsin student’s experience on this campus.

One of the most impressive features of all is the Terrace’s selection of beers. The last visit I made was with a friend during a class to complete an assignment. Naturally, the rest of us showed up as well. Beer selection is very important and the available brews that are served show that the Terrace management knows how to choose quality microbrews.

The usual Miller and Budweiser beers are available, but after a while, a time in one’s college career leads him/her on to bigger and better things. Beer is included. Personally, I believe that one can only consume so much Natural Light before the sound of the words “Natty” leads someone to become sick and yarf. I am one of those people.

Of note, I found that the Terrace carried one of the best beers in the Midwest made right in Kalamazoo, Mich. I am talking about the Bell’s Oberon Ale. It is a wheat ale brewed with Saaz hops and is a perfect blend of spice and fruit for a summer day on the Terrace. Perhaps that is why the Kalamazoo Brewing Company only produces it from April to September. If you are a fan of Blue Moon, give the Bell’s a try.

Many gasps are probably on their way after that one. What about the capital brews? Well yes, here at Savory Secrets all beers get love. A longtime favorite has to be Spotted Cow made by New Glarus brewing, which puts up a good fight as another fruity beer for a day on the Terrace but comes in a close second to the Bell’s.

Aside from the quality selection of beers, space is never limited. That’s right, everyone is always guaranteed a place on the Terrace. In this respect, there is no better place for a gathering of friends.

The scenery is also unlike that of any other place. Excellent views of sailing on Lake Mendota and the tree line surrounding it are amazing for inspiring thought and provoking conversation.

As if this favorite campus patio did not have enough going for it, live music is played on the stage in some afternoons and evenings. The Bob Westfall Quintet will perform Friday. The band is known for playing folk music with an homage paid to jazz and pop. Good beer and catchy folk music can only make for a good combination. For beer suggestions, refer back a few paragraphs.

The food selection at the Terrace is almost the same as it is in the hot food section in the Rathskeller. But the food is just not what the Terrace is all about. It’s about friends, good times, music and summer beers.

Tom McGrath is a fifth-year senior majoring in journalism and mass communications, among other things. He enjoys downing a Bell’s on the Terrace with friends instead of going to class and will never give up the hooch. Tom can be reached at [email protected].