Beverages, drinking contribute to vacation

Watching people as they walk down State Street is a curious activity. This day, large and fluffy flurries fell from the sky. Cold temperatures were still around, too. As a cruel reminder of how depressing winter is, passersby walked with jackets, gloves and hats. This was a hard sight without thoughts of warm weather creeping upon me.

Luckily, I was reminded that spring break 2005 is not far off. One day from when this column is printed, in fact. Apparently, break was lost in the mix known as a busy life. It could’ve been lost in last weekend’s shindigs, lemon-drop shots and subsequent after bars.

Thoughts of beaches, dancing at random bars of the South to “Freek a Leek” and sipping on tropical drinks quickly brightened up wintry Madison sights. Picking up a tropical drink in Madison is not impossible. But, tropical drinks are often better suited to their tropical environment, where most will travel this spring break.

A majority of travelers will head down to Cancun, Mexico. Sounds like a perfect place to have a margarita made, right? The key to a real margarita is not adding any of the margarita mix. Of course, it works. But, it also ruins the drink beyond repair.

Ask your bartender to make a margarita with a healthy combination of tequila, triple sec (Cointreau is preferred) and limejuice. After a taste comparison between a margarita with margarita mix and one without, the real taste of a margarita should be realized. Note that this life-changing moment depends on prior margarita consumption. Too many drinks before comparison also won’t help much.

To help spice up the margarita, try swapping in different kinds of tequila. Jose Cuervo is one of the most common tequilas used in margaritas. Instead, add top-shelf tequila like Don Julio to the mix. Originally made by Don Julio Gonzales, a renowned tequila-maker in Mexico, it was first suggested to me by a beach bartender named Wilbur. This one is highly recommended.

Certain things should be known about tequila besides its power to get friends overwhelmingly drunk. Tequila is a town in the Mexican state of Jalisco. Production of Tequila began there some 200 years ago.

A few categories and types of tequila are available among brands, tequila 100 percent agave and standard tequila. 100 percent agave is made in Mexico, whereas the latter could be bottled elsewhere and contains less agave. Juices are extracted and ultimately distilled from agave to get the famous liquor. If in Mexico, go with the local choice with more agave.

Silver tequilas are never aged. It will have a strong agave taste because the liquor is not far from its roots. Gold is recommended for frozen margaritas because of the added flavorings. Reposado, however, has enjoyed time inside oak barrels and is gentle on the palette. Note the tastes of others before ordering.

Mai tais are also a respectable choice to get any spring break beach vacation started right. Of course, have one only after a margarita taste test. This combination of a few rums with orange and lime juice will certainly satisfy while tanning on a warm, sunny beach and will go down smooth with almond syrup added to the mix.

If a mai tai doesn’t sound good, pina coladas present a rum fruit-drink alternative to mai tais made with a delicious combination of coconut and pineapple.

Drinks made with ice cream should not be neglected in warm places, either. Grasshoppers are a worthwhile choice to expand drinking horizons. Made with créme de menthe, white creme de cacao and vanilla ice cream, the ice cream creates much of the taste. Make sure the bartender uses an extra creamy brand for extra savory enjoyment. Notably, some local bars get their ice cream from the Chocolate Shoppe to get the taste right.

“Real ingredients taste better than mixed,” said Jeff Haima, a bartender at Blue Velvet for about two years. Haima cautions spring breakers from drinking too much alcohol without water. “Alcohol is a diuretic. Avoid the hangover by keeping hydrated. There is nothing worse than a hangover at 5 p.m. when you have more drinking ahead of you.”

Beers should not be forgotten. Corona is a prime choice and should be garnished with a lime wedge. Blue moon is sadly forgotten. This brand of beer is a summer beer and is garnished with an orange slice for just that reason.

If you are not sure what to get, consult a bartender. Most likely, a new beverage served by the drink-educated will taste good and provide a springboard for future alcohol consumption.

Have a safe break and enjoy trying new drinks. Be sure to write me with new drinks from spring break and they may be included in a future article. Cheers!

Tom McGrath is a fifth-year senior majoring in journalism and mass communications, among other things. Over break, he will down many fruity drinks in Madison while throwing a non-stop sandy beach party. Tom can be reached at [email protected].