Sexy careers, rewarding experiences

Gato hates corruption of youthful bliss more than he hates that he can’t afford a new pair of Paper Denim jeans. So certainly, cynicism was not a diagnosis he wanted from Lillian.

Gato woke one Sunday morning to find an e-mail from Lillian asking if she was a superficial suit-type, overly excited about her new junior art director title at Lapiz, the Hispanic division of Leo Burnett advertising in Chicago. “I mean, I’m leaping out of bed, excited to be working on Frosted Flakes commercials — in Spanish.”

Sexy jobs, yes, image is involved. Yes, there are nightclub parties with open bars (even if free Vodka isn’t Grey Goose). But like sensual chemistry between the un-nose-jobbed of the world, sexy jobs are sexy because they involve unique passions more than an elephant-sized paycheck.

Advertising is an art form in itself. Nothing proved that to Gato more than the last time he walked through Burnett’s doors at 35 Wacker, meeting Lillian for lunch. As one enters the glass door beyond reception, the walls are covered with the iconography of the pop American experience.

Figures high school students identify most often on U.S. history tests — Tony the Tiger, the Marlboro Man, even Virginia Slims’ famous ’70s, “You’ve come a long way Baby” campaign — all came out of Burnett brains at 35 West Wacker.

On the road to bliss, sexy jobs also give opportunity for engaging change by lending caché for out-of-workplace community leadership. After work, Lillian started volunteering at the Adrés Figuero Cordero Computer and Information Centers, created by the Alejandro Molina, head of IT at Y & R. With more equipment than a college communication arts department, West Side Chicago kids can learn everything from web design to Final Cut Pro.

Advertising also plays a larger role in economic empowerment. In the late ’90s Al Sharpton, former Vice President Al Gore, execs at Black Entertainment Television and George San José, a Hispanic advertising veteran and friend of former President Bush, banded together to work on increasing spending in minority-owned media. One goal was improving information flow about homeownership and financial services to first generation middle-class consumers.

Over cocktails at Madison’s Flatiron Grill, Lilian dispensed this pinot noir-influenced wisdom about finding oneself in a new career: “Until St. Jackie Kennedy sends perfect Andromeda Galaxy policymakers and magic, unlimited ATMs to Earth, sexy jobs are a way of forging a tiny, personal utopia.”

So how does one book a flight to Personal Utopia or, more simply, a sexy job in advertising? To find out, Gato asked Sharon Beyer and Angela Forsa from Draft, the top Chicago-integrated marketing agency responsible for Verizon Wireless and Jose Cuervo spots.

Beyer is Executive-Vice President of Human Resources, and Forsa is Associate Director of Human Resources.

According to the duo, foremost, candidates need to really focus on how the content speaks as all resumes are reviewed electronically.

“You wouldn’t believe the number of resumés we get with misspellings,” Beyer said. “Misspellings. Right away it’s in the trash.”

For recent grads, Beyer emphasizes, “Too many people think a degree alone will get them a job. Involvement is the biggest thing we look for in a candidate.”

Things that make a candidate stand out are experience with student advertising clubs, selling ad space for a student newspaper and doing pro-bono publicity for local charities. “Most important is displaying that you have passion for what you do,” Beyer said.

Both Draft honchos state that it’s essential to apply with a specific category in mind — media placement, client services, creative — not just potshot positions.

Forsa said interview candidates tend to make one repeated mistake. “Because they think it’s an advertising agency, they show up business casual,” she said. “You want to dress formal, somewhat conservatively. Clothes with too much flair detract — you want your personality to speak, not what you’re wearing.”

Two days before Lillian’s interview with Delores Kunda, head of Leo Burnett Hispanic, Lillian called Gato from Brooks Brother’s, freaking out. First, Gato thought it was her regular “Oh, my God! I look like a Young Republican!” fashion attacks. Instead, Gato had told Lillian the wrong weekend for the Brooks Brother’s sale. So she was doing a cellular panic, hyper-ventilating that she looked like a College Democrat, wearing the only sale item that also didn’t fit.

In Beyer’s mind, blue and black are preferred colors. “Price doesn’t make the better outfit,” she advised. “If you buy classic, you can get something just as nice for much less money at TJ Maxx or Marshall’s.”

When Lillian went after-hire work-clothes hunting, Gato recommended scouring department store clearance racks in suburbs of big cities. Marshall Field’s, but Lord & Taylor and Macy’s especially, have items that were popular downtown but not in McMansionville. Lillian soon discovered Woodfield Mall, three hours south in Schaumburg, IL, was tops for über-cool clearance treasures.

Forsa and Beyer are astounded by the number of candidates who land an interview, then “come in not even having read the company website.” Crain’s Business, Advertising Age and Brandweek are all publications Forsa and Beyer recommend as research resources. Crain’s annual business directories list top agencies by capitalized billings and serve as a good place to start in finding company contacts.

For networking, both recommend tapping into the Chicago Direct Marketing Association. In New York, Crain’s Business Breakfasts puts you at tables with leaders in marketing and media. When Lillian sought freelance work, Gato recommended attending media and magazine sponsored nightclub events. HACE, (www.hace-usa.org) holds tremendous networking events in Chicago and NYC for those interested in Spanish-language marketing, a steadily growing field.

Art-director hopefuls absolutely need an online portfolio. Beyer states creative resumes should also function like an ad. “It should say ‘Wow!” Beyer said. Hard Hat Hosting (www.hardhathosting.com) has low-cost hosting solutions with prompt support.

A week later, Lillian called again, asking if her career was superficial. “Didn’t you just buy a new Jetta?” Gato asked.

“Jetta Shmettta,” She said. “My ex-boyfriend Zeus, you know, philosophy grad student, says I’m trafficking in trite consumer ephemera.”

“Superficial. Ah, the ex-boyfriend fork in the hand,” Gato said, “Embrace it.”

Next week: Gato gets caught up in Chanel-gate, the first fashion scandal to rock a White House — oh, and cocktail recipes.