Warming up the Wisconsin winter at Dancing Grounds

We all know Wisconsin winters are cold. We’re not quite there yet, but it’s almost a guarantee that in a matter of weeks, the temperatures will be dropping, snow will be flying and wind will be howling. It can be hard to get motivated to go out when the weather’s chilly, but there’s nothing better than a hot coffee drink that packs a punch to warm you up.

Ancora has been one of Madison’s most popular local coffee roasters for years, with locations around town. The closest to campus was located in the Canterbury building on West Gorham, between the bookstore and the bed and breakfast. But when the bookstore closed last spring Ancora soon followed. Before long, the space was being remodeled and another coffeehouse, Dancing Grounds opened there this past summer.

Dancing Grounds (315 W. Gorham St.) is more than just a coffee shop. It has an extensive bakery, soda, espresso drinks and regular coffee, of course, but doesn’t just stop there. There’s also a large selection of beer, all reasonably priced (as in, less than $3 for a bottle of Newcastle) and — most importantly for this column — an entire menu of hot and cold coffee liqueur drinks.

I ventured into Dancing Grounds on a recent rainy, chilly night intending to get a little something to warm up my evening. I got there around 8:30 at night and when I went to the counter to order I was informed (rather rudely, I might add), that it would be closing time in half an hour. Why would a coffee shop close to campus close at 9 p.m., you ask? I have no idea.

Nonetheless, my drinking partner and I decided to order, both opting for hot drinks. I went straight for the Irish Espresso ($4.25), a combination of Irish whiskey, Irish cream, espresso and whipped cream; my partner chose the Rocky Road Mocha ($4.75), made up of hazelnut liqueur, Créme de Cacao, espresso, hot chocolate and whipped cream.

Five minutes later (and 25 minutes before closing) our drinks were ready and we settled into some metal chairs at a table. While Dancing Grounds’ décor looks nice, it doesn’t offer the most comfortable environment downtown. Most of the chairs are metal, with a few wicker, padded armchairs thrown in. The tables are spaciously arranged, with plenty of room to study or converse without disturbing anyone. One big disappointment for me was the absence of the huge fireplace that used to sit in the middle of the floor — it was a very cozy and warm addition to Ancora and I wish the new owners had kept it.

My first impression of the Irish Espresso can be summed up in one word — wow. The flavor of the whiskey jumped right out at me, and rather overwhelmed the other tastes in the drink. There was more of a coffee flavor after I got used to the taste, but the Irish cream was noticeably absent.

The Rocky Road Mocha, on the other hand, was nicely balanced and got a thumbs-up both from my partner and I. We could taste all the ingredients evenly, and the strength of the espresso didn’t overwhelm the rest of the tastes. It was easy to tell there was alcohol in it, but it wasn’t a shocking taste.

If neither of these drinks seems up your alley, there are many more to choose from. The hot drinks run from $4.25 to $5.25, with the cold drinks following suit. The Kahlua Café looked promising, with Kahlua, chocolate-hazelnut liqueur, espresso and whipped cream. The Cappucino Supreme is also on my must-try list, combining espresso, amaretto, brandy, foamed milk and one shot of flavored liqueur — customer’s choice.

The flavored liqueur selection is a strong point of the menu, offering everything from mocha caramel to peppermint schnapps to white chocolate. They’re all priced at $1 per ounce, so if you’re not a coffee drinker, get a few ounces over ice and call it a night.

The hot drinks are undoubtedly the most appropriate for winter, but once the weather warms up again, the cold-drink menu is worth a glance as well. There are traditional dessert-type drinks like the Mudslide (Kahlua, Irish cream, vodka, espresso and vanilla ice cream) as well as more specialized originals like the Velvet Hammer, made with vodka, créme de cacao and espresso served over ice and mixed with half-and-half. The price is right at $4.50 to $5.25, so head here before hitting up TGI Fridays.

All in all, Dancing Grounds provides an interesting, if a bit flawed, side trip from the normal campus-area coffee shops. If it would stay open later and focus more on being friendly to customers, it could be the next great place to study — or to forget about that horrible final.

Questions, comments or ideas? Talk to me at [email protected].