State Street Brats: king of sports bars

Bartime previously avoided designation of what is “best” in Madison. But I think the time has come to take a stand, and when it comes to sports bars, State Street Brats is the king.

Brats offers too many advantages other bars can’t match. The place is huge, and the giant projection-screen TV’s on the second-floor wall brings the action right in your face. If your game isn’t on the big screen, chances are it is broadcast at one of the many other TVs located within easy viewing distance on either floor.

During basketball season and the Badgers latest run, Brats was like a mini-Kohl Center when the team was out of town, only with a booze-available option. The crowd would react to nearly every play — the upstairs seats tend to get especially rowdy.

The food is typical of Wisconsin, the type of stuff Badger fans love. Brats, burgers, fries, and cheese curds — the perfect remedy to soothe a queasy stomach brought on by either sloppy play or excessive consumption.

While the venue and offering are a big draw, Brats has a historical legacy. Since originally opening as the Brathaus in 1952, the place has hooked students from the start.

Alumni hold Brats in even greater reverence, giving it an almost religious quality. In fact, a trip to Brats is often the first thing alumni will do upon returning to Madison, treating it like some sort of pilgrimage. Walking through those doors on State Street seems to trigger so many memories. The smiles on their faces tell it all, “Ah, yes — I’m back in Madison, and it is good!”

These factors all add up to an easy conclusion — Brats is the best place to catch the big game. But more importantly, Brats is not just a one-trick pony.

Much like watching games on TV, playing games is similarly fun. One only needs to look at “Flip Night” to see the connection.

A special that started only a few years ago, “Flip Night” is easily the biggest thing to do on a Tuesday. The concept is simple. A bartender flips a coin, and if you win, the drink is 75 percent off. You lose, and the drink is full price.

The powers-that-be like to claim that this special endorses binge drinking. They are wrong. To start, the special attracts lots of people. There is almost always a line waiting to get in. Once you do get in, it is so crowded that a wait is inevitable, meaning the ability to order drink after drink in rapid succession is difficult.

Furthermore, drinks are ordered before the coin toss, meaning that it is a drink someone would have purchased at full price regardless. You can’t add on more drinks per order just because you won and saved money. Plus, the flips are monitored, which keeps the bartenders on their toes, preventing them from offering gratuitous favors.

Regardless of the night, Brats sells a lot of its signature “Bowl” drinks. Named after the football games, these secret concoctions include the Rose Bowl, Citrus Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, and Gator Bowl. Priced at $4.75, the Rose Bowl is most popular in this town for obvious reasons.

Red Bull, mixed with anything you desire, is another hit. Next to Milwaukee’s popular Water Street bar McGillycuddy’s, Brats sells the most Red Bull in the state.

As if this isn’t enough, Brats has its very own mascot: Bratman. While Bucky is the most recognizable character in town, I’m willing to bet Bratman takes second place. The image of a smiling wiener wrapped in a bun is simply hard to forget.

There are other sports bars, but Brats brings more to the table. That is why it is the best sports bar. A game is just a game, and once it is over, it is good to know there is plenty more to do.

Bartime will take on another venerable Madison institution next week ? bringing you the best place to get some action. You know what I mean. Cheers!

Meet Your Bartender

Bartime’s weekly Q & A at the featured bar

Name: Lisa Gianforte

How long working at Brats: Since October 2002. Been working Flip Night for the past 8 months.

Favorite drink: Stoli Razberi Press

Craziest thing ever seen at the bar: “Seeing some girls dance on the catwalk, in mini-skirts, minus their underwear.”

Wettest moment at the bar: “During the basketball tournament, a entire pitcher was dumped over my head by someone celebrating a little excessively.”

Flip Night pet peeve: “Rookies, who don’t realize that the bartenders actually do the flipping, and people who don’t tip on what the full amount could have been.”

Best part about Flip Night: “You have to interact with the bartender, which makes it fun for everybody.”