Marigold’s Kitchen disappoints

If you’re looking for a breakfast joint where you can just roll out of bed and go, Marigold’s Kitchen, 118 S. Pinckney, is probably not your best option.

If you don’t know about the limited hours breakfast is served, you might be in for disappointment. But, if you can plan your timing right, you will find one of Madison’s best kept secrets in breakfast cuisine.

In fact, people rave about the restaurant’s breakfast fare and reasonable prices. Tucked behind Walgreen’s on the Capitol Square, I would have never discovered Marigold’s if not for a friend’s suggestion.

The restaurant embodies an upbeat, urban setting with intense color. Geometric ceiling tiles and eclectic art give the restaurant a distinctive touch. High-back cushioned booths have diners sinking into the furniture ? probably the only sense of comfort during my meal.

The fast-paced “in-out” atmosphere made for a highly stressful meal. The general set-up created a bad experience from the beginning. Diners wait in a long line to order their food, hovering over the shoulders of diners finishing their meals.

Seating is limited, and the staff does not assist you in finding a table. It is every man-on his-own, and it can get pretty vicious.

Another frustrating point to note is that the staff only serves meals. If diners want a refill on their water or perhaps another can of soda, they need to wait in line to order and pay. If more waiters were available to take care of beverages, dining at Marigold’s would have been a more enjoyable experience.

I arrived too late Friday morning to taste any of the breakfast dishes that I have been hearing so much about, but the menu had me drooling, and the description of the French Toast ($5.95) made my mouth water. The French Toast is made with grilled challah bread, crisscrossed with raspberry puree, pastry cream, toasted almonds and maple syrup, and garnished with fresh berries.

Four dynamic omelets ($7.50), a breakfast sandwich ($5.50) and a daily quiche selection ($5.95) are some of the breakfast best-sellers.

The lunch menu includes some tasty fare. The chefs work in an exhibition kitchen, an open area where diners can sneak a peak at the grill. The Tuna Melt ($7.95) was a little messy, but overall very tasty. A heaping scoop of highly seasoned tuna is served on toasted ciabatta bread with tomatoes, aged cheddar, gruyere, sandwich pickles, and topped with red onion. The open-faced sandwich might be easier to eat with a fork and knife.

A small cup of the Cream of Tomato Soup ($2.50), one of the dailies offered, was flavorful and thick. The creamy taste complemented the tuna melt well.

The Grilled Hamburger ($7.50) is well prepared. A half-pound slab of Angus beef, flame grilled, tastes filling and satisfying. The sandwich is beef is so juicy and sloppy that I needed extra napkins. Served on a toasted, crusty bun, diners can opt from three different cheeses if they so desire: gruyere, aged cheddar or gorgonzola. The aioli sauce enhances the flavoring and tastes like a garlic mayonnaise.

All sandwiches are served with a tangy gingered slaw made from purple cabbage. You will not find fries or potato chips (bags can be purchased for an additional charge) to substitute for the slaw, so if you don’t like it, tough luck. It’s more of a decorative touch than anything else.

Marigold Kitchen’s adventurous approach to sandwich making might make those who would prefer a simple sandwich a little weary.

Salads are available in half ($4.50) and full ($6.95-$7.50) sizes. The Field Greens Salad, ordered by a nearby couple, was beautifully presented with a medley of colorful vegetables. Butternut squash, dried cranberries, toasted walnuts, red onion and bleu cheese might be a good option for those having a hard time deciding on a sandwich or looking for a lighter meal.

The front counter displays a myriad of homemade desserts ranging from chocolate covered macaroons, brownies, blondies, cookies, pies and tarts, cakes, and muffins. A full-service bar as well as a coffee bar is also featured.

If you don’t mind the wait or risking the chance of not finding a table, Marigold’s Kitchen offers good food for a reasonable price. Having to serve myself water and constantly getting up and down to refill my glass detracted from my meal. I definitely would return to sample breakfast dishes, but I am getting there early to avoid long lines. Until next week, happy dining.

Marigold’s Kitchen is open for breakfast (Mon-Fri) 7 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., lunch (Mon-Fri) 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., and brunch (Saturday) 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.