Badger Bistro goes to The Great Dane

The Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company, 123 E. Doty St., is notorious for good food and great beer.

The spacious restaurant has multiple rooms and levels, and it seems like getting a table would never be a problem. But after visiting the restaurant on several occasions, I realized a wait is not unusual ? and it?s most likely a substantial one.

The Great Dane is unique because it?s the manufacturer, wholesaler and retailer of carefully brewed beer. According to their website, their ?distribution system only [extends] 30 feet.?

A billiards lounge takes up its own room, complete with a bar and six pool tables, offering a fun environment for the casual or experienced player.

The menu is formatted as a newspaper, titled ?The Dane Dispatch.? The front page offers a bio of the eleven brewed beers and a step-by-step instructional model for brewing beer. But kids, I wouldn?t try this at home.

For starters, my taste testing team indulged in the Snow Crab and Spinach Dip ($6.95). A blend of real snow crab, spinach, cream cheese, parmesan cheese, garlic and herbs, the dip was fantastic. It was topped with diced tomatoes and served with a selection of club and water crackers as well as red grapes.

It was hard to decide on an appetizer since their descriptions sounded so delicious. For example, the Lemon Pepper Crazy Fingers ($6.50) are fresh chicken strips, dipped in lemon pepper chili batter, fried crisp and served with spicy Szechwan honey.

The James Madison ($5.75) might be your favorite if you are a soup and salad lover. Choose between a half-sized deli-inspired sandwich or wrap and a bowl of Tomato-Mushroom Bisque, or the soup du jour.

We ordered the Doty Street Catch Salad ($8.95) and were elated when we heard the catch of the day was jumbo rock shrimp, but it was deep-fried and couldn?t be grilled. Our waitress was cooperative and even created a salad that wasn?t on the menu.

Cajun-style white meat grilled chicken strips, corn salsa and tomatoes were atop a bed of lettuce and adorned with red, white and blue corn chips. The Lime Cilantro dressing was a little excessive, so I would recommend asking for it on the side. The salad was delicious and had a spicy aftertaste.

My favorite salad on the menu is the Webster Street Chicken Salad ($6.95). Usually my dinner or even lunch of choice, the salad beautifully encompasses grilled chicken strips, granny smith apples, sun-dried cranberries, walnuts and Gorgonzola cheese tossed in a honey citrus dressing.

Although I am partial to the salad, the Cayman Island Shrimp wins the presentation award. Ten medium sized shrimp skewered with pineapple, red and green peppers and red onion was basted with a sweet and mild Cayman BBQ sauce.

The colorful concoction was beautifully arranged and tasted especially sweet. Served with coconut ?rice-n-peas,? mango red cabbage slaw and dark beer bread, my meal definitely satisfied.

Some other pub favorites include the Packers Country Steak ($9.95), Chicken Pot Pie ($6.95) and Inner Warmth Peanut Stew ($6.95). These dishes are designed to keep you warm during the cold Madison winters.

Sandwiches and burgers also make up a large portion of the menu. The Buffalo Burger ($7.30) is a one-third pound of ground bison, meat broiled to perfection. Topped with a variety of cheeses and smothered with Red Lager mushroom gravy, the burger is leaner than beef but still full of zesty flavor.

Late night diners don?t have to worry about The Great Dane closing its kitchen early, as the restaurant has a small menu of items available until 1 a.m. ? mostly finger foods and burgers, Hot Soft Pretzels ($4.25), Nachos ($6.95) and wings by the pound ($6.50) to name a few.

Every meal I have had at the Great Dane I have thoroughly enjoyed. For me, it is the restaurant I take a group of friends when we want to eat off State Street, and I always find the service accommodating and friendly.

Even if you are not hungry, sample some beer and order some appetizers. It?s a great place to catch up with friends or to relax after a long week of school.

Until next week, happy dining!