Redefining the role of the vocalist

For decades, pop music has relied heavily on the use of a variety of instruments to provide accompaniment for vocalists. Whether it’s the silky sounds of an acoustic piano, the tight grooves of bass and drums, the crunchy riff of the electric guitar, or the modern sounds of electronic synthesizers, instrumentation is an essential element in creating a sound that has texture, emotion and mood.

Redefined, an 18-member a cappella group, is no stranger to these crucial concepts. But on the group’s recent self-titled CD, Redefined clears away all the amps, keyboards, strings and horns and relies solely on the oldest and perhaps most expressive instrument: the human voice.

Redefined is a 19-track all-you-can-eat buffet of eclectic goodies. With styles ranging from ’60s soul to modern pop rock, this smorgasbord is sure to satisfy any musical hunger. But no matter what style or genre they are singing in, the members of Redefined seem to be constantly showcasing the amazing rhythmic and tonal versatility of their voices.

In their rendition of the Jackson 5’s “I Want You Back,” they capture all the rhythmic nuances of Motown, from the funky drums and bass to a vocal guitar riff that would turn the head of Tito Jackson. The hits are crisp, and the sweeping harmonies provide a solid foundation for soloist Amy Kleist to deliver a soulful performance.

The Three Dog Night classic “One” is another rhythmic bright spot, showcasing a flawless vocal copy of the choppy organ. Soloist Rick Groves adds to the excellence, singing with a quality of frailty and almost desperation that paints a perfect picture of loneliness.

One of the more unique and amazing displays of versatility is by the group’s vocal percussionist, Dave Machinist, who creates all the drum sounds by manipulating his tongue and mouth and providing bursts of air. Dave produces a wide variety of sounds, from the standard kick drum, snare and high-hat beats to more modern synthesized sounds. On the group’s cover of “Straight Up” by Paula Abdul, Dave gets to show of some of the large arsenal of sounds he can create.

Perhaps the most moving and mature performance on the CD is Redefined’s version of Ani DiFranco’s “Marrow.” The floating harmonies seem to form a swirling cloud of emotion as they blend together and phase in and out of perception. Soloist Brenda Rae Klinkert adds to the mood with a performance that exudes attitude and grace. She sings with the kind of edgy, worn-out passion that is not only engaging; it’s intoxicating.

Redefined pays respects to the greatest gaming system ever made with the last track on the album, “Nintendo.” The song captures the essence of the system’s eight-bit sound by using a vocal effect that make the voices sound like they are coming from the cranked speakers of an old television.

Complete with game sound effects, this track will bring some of you back to the days when you spent countless hours playing games like Tetris or Zelda. And to prove that the group’s sound is not created by the smoke and mirrors of studio magic, the album includes several terrific live tracks for your listening pleasure.

You can catch Redefined live tonight, Friday, Dec. 5, and tomorrow night, Sat. Dec. 6, along with two other great campus a cappella acts, Tangled up in Blue and Madhatters. Both performances begin at 7:30 p.m. Friday night’s performance will be held at the Union Theater and Saturday night’s performance at the historic Orpheum Theater. Tickets, at $10 for adults and $7 for students, are available at the theaters’ respective box offices.