The ‘Root’ of the groove

Supposedly, Rusted Root’s commercial success has been lacking as of late; meanwhile, bars around Madison keep “Send Me On My Way” in heavy rotation. Granted, a small portion of Rusted Root’s devoted fan base might only consist of one or two dorm-dwellers who heard “Send Me on My Way” and nothing else. But the band’s base seems to have deeper roots (pardon the pun).

Be it a drunken bartime anthem or just a good tune, Rusted Root, at least in this town, seems stereotyped by that one song. But try telling any unique and numerous Rusted Root fan this factoid, and he might just knock your teeth out.

Starting out back in the ’80s in Pittsburgh, Rusted Root has always seemed more a collective than a lone singer and his backup band. With Michael Glabicki’s eccentric and soulful voice soaring over the other instruments, there is no doubt the strength in this group is its ability to have every single bandmate contribute his or her unique style to the stage.

While people walking out of the concerts usually have the vocals stuck in their head, nine times out of 10 the greatest memories they grab from the performances is the talented band and its ability to turn from soulful to funkadelic at the drop of a hat.

Rusted Root bring its earth-rock to the Orpheum Theatre this Easter and will be sure to bring all the enthusiasm and talent that normally accompanies its live shows. While it is cranking its way through sets with great songs such as “Cruel Sun” and “Back To The Earth,” there will surely be many devoted fans packed into the Orpheum rather than shoveling down ham and trading barbs with their estranged families.

At first listen, you could liken them to Paul Simon’s Rhythm of the Saints and its use of varied instruments and rootsy, tribal-tinged vocalizations. Further discovery, however, leads you into a band that not only is confident in its abilities, but one that also has faith and conviction in the music it presents to its audience.

A rare commodity in these days of pre-packaged music, Rusted Root does not seem to care for the high commercialism that follows bands with large college followings.

Try not to dismiss Rusted Root as having nothing but hooting and hollering songs from the few experiences that the bars give the average customer. “Heaven,” off the album Remember, has a slow-motion, down-south feel to it, making you wish you could park your feet up on the porch in warmer days.

Now back to the funkier songs that make the man get down and groove, “Evil Ways” packs a ’70s-action-show punch with a flute groove that makes you want to start taking some lessons. Guaranteed to have at least ten hardcore dancing songs, it’d be best if you brought some comfortable shoes along to this show, as Rusted Root will keep you on your feet.

Rusted Roots’ all ages show is this Sunday 7:30 pm at the Orpheum. Tickets are $25.