Exposing the ugly truths of war

The fact that Americans didn’t have to fight World War II on their home soil left us with a little more romanticized view of the conflict. People casually looked at images of Rosie the Riveter without associating her with the death and destruction she endorsed. Across the sea, however, a different story unfolded.

While this country was hearing about the war from newsreels and radio, people in Europe were seeing their beloved countries torn to shreds from constant bombardment. The lucky ones never had to see the Nazis occupy their streets and homes, but most never had that luxury.

Director Roberto Rossellini (father of actress Isabella Rossellini) had a vision of war and occupation in his country of Italy, and he pulled no punches in showing how sometimes being the good guy does not help you save the day. With Rossellini’s “Open City,” offered as this week’s International Film, this campus can see World War II from the eyes of a newly freed but destitute country.

Filmed in the streets of Italy in 1945 right after Italy’s liberation from the Nazis (in fact, there were some remaining during the production), the story begins with a raid on some homes in a small complex. Searching for resistance fighters, the Nazis find nothing but end up stirring up a hornet’s nest that involves everyone from the grown to the smallest child.

While the resistance is trying to find ways to expel the German forces from their country, they enlist the help of a local priest to help them in their crusade. The priest accepts and starts to perform small miracles that help save many lives.

When the resistance fighters in question turn up back at the housing complex, certain complications arise. One of the fighters is about to marry a single mother in a ceremony the very next day. Whether or not their plans work out is questionable, as the German forces are slowing creeping their way towards capture.

Cheerful is definitely not a word to be associated with this film; it subjects the audience to the bleak outlook that comes with enemy occupation. Shooting on the streets of Italy right after the liberation, the bombed out buildings and the depressed faces of the people on the street are assuredly genuine.

Their perspectives jar the audience out of the clichéd romantic outlooks on war, as the affairs in this movie are truly unflinching.

What would be worse than the dismal outlook this film provides would be missing the film itself. As powerful as anything that has covered the subject of war, it shows that no one is safe from enemy forces.

These scenes have to be in this film to make Rossellini’s effort at showing the horrible nature of war that much more genuine. This is more than a simple tale: It is a lesson that shows that war affects everyone, and the outcome is always ugly.

“Open City” is playing Sunday at 2 p.m. in Room 109 of Union South.