I’m dreaming of a …

The Christmas season is here again, the weather is finally turning chilly and there’s no better time to call that special person, turn the Christmas lights on, light a fire and watch a classic movie. The choices for Christmas movies are numerous, but one that is sure to please is Irving Berlin’s “White Christmas.”

Made in 1954 and based on the classic song “White Christmas,” which was first written for the 1942 movie “Holiday Inn,” Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen join forces to have Christmas in Vermont.

The movie sets out with Crosby and Kaye teaming up after the war to become the hottest singing act in show business. One night they go to see a sister act, Clooney and Ellen, as a favor to an old army friend. The attraction between the four is instantaneous.

The group decides to head up to Vermont where the sisters are booked for the holidays, only to find that there is no snow and that the inn where they are staying is run by the men’s old army general.

The general is in financial trouble, and the bulk of the movie is about how Crosby and Kaye plot to bring more guests to the inn. They decide to bring their famous Broadway show “Playing Around” up and use the sisters in some of the acts. Numerous songs are performed, including “Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep,” “The Best Things Happen While You’re Dancing,” “Mandy,” and, of course, “White Christmas.”

In addition to great songs, the script is timeless, with a great combination of romance, humor, conflict and happy endings. The story keeps you entertained, and the songs stick in your head.

Crosby’s version of “White Christmas” sold more than 30 million copies and remained the best selling single in any music category until Elton John’s “Candle in the Wind” tribute to Princess Diana in 1998 surpassed it with 50 million sold.

This rental ranks up there with “It’s a Wonderful Life,” “Miracle on 34th Street” and “A Christmas Story” as a classic Christmas movie. It’s perfect for getting in the holiday spirit and remembering a time when things seemed simpler. The movie never gets old, and it’s a hit with Christmas fanatics everywhere.