From Badger Herald Wiki
|This section requires expansion.|
The Central Library is located at the corner of Fairchild and Mifflin Streets in downtown Madison. It is one of ten branches of the Madison Public Library system.
Initially, three plans were proposed by three different companies. Developer T. Wall Properties proposed demolishing and rebuilding on the new site, with an estimated cost of $38 million. Developer Fiore-Irgens proposed a mixed-use building at a new location on the corner of West Washington and Henry streets with an estimated cost of $43.5 million. HGA Central Rehab provided a variety of renovation options, though Library Board Chairman Tripp Widder said the renovations options only exists as a means for comparing the relative costs of the new construction proposals. HGA Central Rehab's plans ranged in cost from $17.2 to $19.8 million.
The city endorsed, and the public library board ultimately approved, the $43 million reconstruction plan from Fiore-Irgens.
The Mayor's budget dedicated allocated half of the cost of the new library from city funds, with the expectation that the rest of the money would come from private donations to the library. Alders later voted to ensure that $4 million of the private fund were secured before any development projects commenced
In March 19th of 2010, negotiations between the Mayor and Fiore Development's Executive Vice President Bill Kunkler ended. The two parties could not come to an agreement on the final price tag for the construction. The renovation of the current West Mifflin location was to continue unabated.
The City Commission voted to temporarily move the library to a temporary location during the renovation. The city voted to lease space at 316 W Washington ave., to accommodate the library's materials during the anticipated 14 months of renovation work.
- Mayor includes library in proposed budget
- Central library committee debates three possible plans
- Library plan selected
- Mayor supports new central library
- New library could have rooftop garden
- ↑ http://badgerherald.com/news/2008/09/11/madison_closer_to_ha.php Madison closer to having new library
- ↑ http://badgerherald.com/news/2009/09/04/central_library_plan.php Central Library plans unveiled
- ↑ http://badgerherald.com/news/2009/04/30/city_committee_close.php City committee closes in on approving library
- ↑ http://badgerherald.com/news/2009/07/18/downtown_library_pla.php Downtown library plan finalized
- ↑ http://badgerherald.com/news/2009/11/09/fundraising_may_dela.php Fundraising may delay city library
- ↑ http://badgerherald.com/news/2010/03/19/city_developer_decid.php City, developer decide to end library project
- ↑ http://badgerherald.com/news/2011/03/07/central_library_will.php Central Library will relocate during construction period