Two-unit house catches fire on West Mifflin [Update]

Officials are still investigating the cause of a fire at 407 W. Mifflin St. at about 3:30 p.m. Tuesday afternoon that resulted in $60,000 worth of damage.

Madison Fire Department spokesperson Lori Wirth said there were no injuries in the fire.

A statement from the MFD said the fire displaced at least six residents. Wirth said the fire occurred at a two-story house, which is divided into two apartments.

Only one resident was home at the time of the fire, the statement said. He went outside to call police upon smelling smoke inside the house.

Wirth estimated the fire began at about 3:30 p.m., and firefighters had the fire under control within a few minutes of arriving.

The statement said firefighters battled the fire mainly from atop the roof of the house. It said firefighters quelled the flames by removing burning material from the roof as well as poking holes in the attic to ventilate the house.

Firefighters were also able to remove electronics from the home before damage could be done, the statement said. The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

[Photo by Katherine Krueger/The Badger Herald]