Three questions surrounding Iowa vs. No. 5 Wisconsin Saturday

Jason Chan

1. Which Iowa team will show up Saturday?

Prior to the Badgers’ 82-50 blowout win over the Hawkeyes on Jan. 20, Iowa entered the AP Top 25 poll for the first time all season at No. 25. The Hawkeyes had beaten Minnesota and Ohio State in a four-day span to improve their record to 13-5 overall and 4-1 in the Big Ten. Since then, however, Iowa has lost back-to-back games for the third time this season. After falling to the Badgers in Madison, Iowa lost a 67-63 decision on the road at Purdue and not only are out of the top 25, but are not receiving any votes in the poll either.

In Iowa’s four conference wins this season, they’re averaging 73.5 points per game, but in their three Big Ten losses, the Hawkeyes are averaging just 58 points per game, including a conference-low 50 to Wisconsin a few weeks ago. A large reason for their lack of scoring has been the drop-in points from leading scorers Aaron White and Jarrod Uthoff in those losses.

In Iowa’s four Big Ten wins, Uthoff is averaging 15.5 points per game, while White is averaging 19. But in the three losses, Uthoff is barely in double figures at 10 points per game, while White is averaging just 6.3 points. Granted, White missed the majority of the game against Purdue with a shoulder injury and only scored four points, but he still only managed seven points and eight points in their other two conference losses.

As of Wednesday, White is listed as day-to-day with a shoulder injury and may not play against the Badgers Saturday, and while the Iowa offense will certainly gain a large boost if their top-point scorer can play, both he and Uthoff will need to have solid games to knock off Wisconsin.

2. Can the Badgers hold the Hawkeyes’ offensive attack Saturday like they did in Madison?

The Hawkeyes’ offense has struggled in their three conference losses this season, including the first meeting with the Badgers a few weeks ago. While Iowa shot 61.9 percent from the floor in the second half in the team’s first meeting this season, the Hawkeyes were only seven of 25 (28 percent) in the first half. Iowa’s three leading scorers – White, Uthoff and Gabriel Olaseni – scored a combined 19 points for the game. Olaseni did not attempt a field goal in the game, while Uthoff was the only Iowa player in double figures with 12 points.

Additionally, the Badgers forced the Hawkeyes into nine turnovers and six steals, while Uthoff was the only starter to shoot over fifty percent for the game. Wisconsin also out-rebounded Iowa, 37-23, hauling in 15 offensive boards to Iowa’s six.

3. Is there anything Iowa can do to disrupt Wisconsin’s offense?

Not only did Wisconsin show one of their best defensive efforts of the season against Iowa, but it was almost a historic night at the Kohl Center. The Badgers committed just one turnover, and even that came on a shot clock violation early in the second half. The Hawkeyes tried to counter the Badgers’ offense with man-to-man defense and zone defense along with a half-court press and full-court press. Wisconsin broke apart Iowa’s defensive sets with crisp passes that resulted in a phenomenal 16 assists to just the one turnover.

As a team, Wisconsin shot 49.2 percent and 40.9 percent from beyond the arc. Five Badgers knocked home a three, with Bronson Koenig (3-for-6), Sam Dekker (2-for-4) and Zak Showalter (1-for-2) all shooting 50 percent from three on the night. Meanwhile, four players — Dekker, Nigel Hayes, Frank Kaminsky and Duje Dukan — all shot over 50 percent from the floor as well.

It was perhaps Wisconsin’s most efficient and productive offensive performance of the year. If it can even come close to replicating those results Saturday, it will be tough for any Iowa defense to slow down the Badgers.