Carlini, four others earn All-American honors

Lauren+Carlini+%28right%29+earned+All-America+first+team+honors+while+Taylor+Morey+%28left%29+and+Courtney+Thomas+%28middle%29+were+named+to+the+All-American+second+team+
Jason Chan
Lauren Carlini (right) earned All-America first team honors while Taylor Morey (left) and Courtney Thomas (middle) were named to the All-American second team

Coming off a defeat to rival Penn State in the Elite Eight that ended their season Saturday, the Badgers accolades for an impressive regular season grew once again Wednesday.

Lauren Carlini was named to the first team All-American squad as one of four sophomores distinguished with those honors. The sophomore setter was a second team All-American last season. Earlier this month, Carlini was named Big Ten Player and Setter of the Year, in addition to being named to the all-Big Ten team.

Carlini finished the 2014 season averaging 11.42 assists per set and 3.04 digs per set. She’s the first Wisconsin player to be on the first team since 2001, and just the fourth in UW history to have All-America honors twice.

The Badgers had two players named to the second team All-America squad, senior right side hitter Courtney Thomas and junior libero Taylor Morey. Both were named to the all-Big Ten team two weeks ago as well. Morey was also named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year.

It was an “honorable” season for middle blockers Dominique Thompson and Haleigh Nelson. After earning honorable mentions for the all-Big Ten team, both were named All-American honorable mentions Tuesday.

The 2014 team set a program record of number of players named to All-American teams with five.