Men’s basketball winter break preview

All stats and records are through Dec. 9.

Saturday, Dec. 13 — vs. Nicholls State (1-4):

After a grueling stretch of games against Georgetown, Oklahoma, Duke, Marquette and even UW-Milwaukee, Wisconsin finally gets a “cupcake” when they host the Colonels this Saturday. Nicholls State, from the Southland conference, is a typical low-mid major program that often schedules games against power conference opponents to earn money for its program. The Colonels have already played UCLA, Wake Forest and Michigan and the Badgers should have no problem taking care of them at the Kohl Center.

Monday, Dec. 22 — at. California (7-1):

After a nine-day break, the Badgers will continue their non-conference schedule when they head to Berkeley, California, to take on the Golden Bears. California should be Wisconsin’s toughest remaining non-conference opponent, as their only loss this season came to then No. 10 Texas in the 2K Classic tournament. Currently, the Golden Bears are receiving votes in both the AP Top 25 and Coaches’ Top 25 polls. California is led by junior guard Tyrone Wallace, who is averaging team-highs in points (19.5), rebounds (8.9) and assists (4.6).

Sunday, Dec. 28 — vs. Buffalo (5-2):

The Badgers will close out their non-conference schedule with a matchup against Buffalo of the Mid-American Conference at the Kohl Center. The Bulls won’t be afraid of Wisconsin as they led No. 1 Kentucky at halftime — before eventually losing — Nov. 16. Regardless, UW should be able to take care of Buffalo at home despite the Bulls having two players — Justin Moss (16.6) and Shannon Evans (15.1) — averaging over 15 points.

Wednesday, Dec. 31 — vs. Penn State (8-1):

Wisconsin will finish 2014 and begin the Big Ten season when the Nittany Lions come to the Kohl Center New Year’s Eve. Penn State finished last season in second-to-last place in the Big Ten with a 6-12 conference record. The Badgers beat the Nittany Lions in their lone matchup last season, escaping Happy Valley with a 71-66 victory. UW will have to contain Penn State guard D.J. Newbill, who as of Dec. 10, leads the Big Ten in scoring with an average of 23.3 points per game.

Sunday, Jan. 4 — at Northwestern (5-3):

As of Dec. 10, the Wildcats have lost three straight games to Northern Iowa, Georgia Tech and Butler. Northwestern currently ranks 308 out of 351 teams in Division I in points per game (60.3) and has yet to score more than 70 points this season. Last season, the Wildcats finished in a tie with Penn State for second-to-last in the Big Ten with a 6-12 record. But, the Wildcats did record a 65-56 upset of the Badgers at the Kohl Center after being blown out by UW earlier in the season, 76-49, in Evanston, Illinois. Northwestern is led by center Alex Olah, who leads the team in points (10.9) and rebounds (6.9).

Wednesday, Jan. 7 — vs. Purdue (7-2):

The Boilermakers have yet to play an away game this season, losing both contests at home to Kansas State and an ugly loss to North Florida. The Badgers had no trouble taking care of Purdue in their two matchups last season, disposing of the Boilermakers on the road 72-58 before earning a 76-70 victory at home. The Boilermakers are one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the Big Ten, hauling in 13.2 per game, and are first in the Big Ten in blocked shots (59), averaging more than six per game. Junior center A.J. Hammons leads the conference in blocked shots per game (3.2).

Sunday, Jan. 11 — at Rutgers (5-4):

The Badgers will make the trek to Piscataway, New Jersey, for the first time Jan. 11 when they take on Big Ten newcomer Rutgers. The Scarlet Knights have one of the worst scoring offenses in the nation, ranking 334th in scoring, averaging 57.4 points per game. Rutgers already has losses against George Washington, Saint Peter’s, Virginia and Seton Hall. In its game against Virginia, Rutgers managed to score only 26 points. Senior guard Myles Mack paces the Scarlet Knights, averaging 14.8 points, 4.7 rebounds, 4.4 assists and 2.9 steals per game.

Thursday, Jan. 15 — vs. Nebraska (5-2):

Wisconsin ends its stretch of winter break games when the Cornhuskers come to Madison Jan. 15. Nebraska has losses to Rhode Island and Creighton this season but did knock off Florida State in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. The Cornhuskers are led by preseason all-Big Ten selection Terran Petteway, who is averaging 21.0 points and 5.1 rebounds per game. The Badgers will have to be ready for the upset-minded Cornhuskers, who, last season, ended UW’s eight-game winning streak, beating Wisconsin in the regular-season finale 77-68 in Lincoln.