Fast Five: This week in Wisconsin athletics

Fast+Five%3A+This+week+in+Wisconsin+athletics+
Joey Reuteman

1. Let’s not talk about Saturday

After the crushing defeat at the hands of Ohio State Saturday night, the Wisconsin football team can at least turn the page and look toward its bowl matchup on New Year’s Day. But just to put in perspective how bad Saturday actually was:

• The loss broke a string of 231 straight games that UW had not been shut out dating back to 1997.
  • The 38-point halftime deficit was Wisconsin’s largest point margin in the last 10 years for any half, surpassing a 24-0 halftime deficit against Penn State from 2008.
  • Ohio State’s win was also the only shutout in a Power Five conference championship game
  • It tied the Badgers’ largest shutout loss to a ranked foe in school history and it also happened to be the fourth largest shutout of a ranked team in FBS history.

In fact, it kind of looked like Space Jam at Lucas Oil Stadium Saturday. Unfortunately, Wisconsin didn’t have Michael Jordan.

2. Badgers to head to Tampa for Outback Bowl

Although Wisconsin can move past its loss to Ohio State, the sunny state of Florida might be the only thing bright come January. The Badgers will take on Auburn (8-4) Jan. 1, 2015 in a game that might have UW as clueless as Lloyd Christmas if it can’t figure out how to score points or stop an offense every once in a while.

But, Auburn opened at only 4.5-point favorites, so despite the Badgers’ pitiful showing in Indianapolis, the people in the betting community still think it’ll be a close game.

Has volleyball lost yet?

Nope. Wisconsin ran its winning streak to 21 straight matches with three-set sweeps of Western Michigan and Illinois State in the first and second round of the NCAA Tournament, respectively, this past weekend. However, the competition gets tougher this weekend with the possibility of a rematch with Penn State, which was UW’s last loss, if UW can dispose of Ohio State Friday at 4 p.m. in Louisville.

4. Imperfect 10

After winning its first game of the season last weekend, the Wisconsin men’s hockey team took on Penn State this weekend looking for its first winning streak of the year. But as has been the case for most of this season, the Badgers struggled both Friday and Saturday night on the way to 5-2 and 4-1 losses to run their record to 1-10-1 this season. The good news is that Wisconsin plays the U.S. Under-18 team this weekend in an exhibition game, which is typically a winnable contest. UW beat the U.S. U-18 team 5-0 back in 2012.

5. One Dozen 

With its sweep of North Dakota this weekend, the Wisconsin women’s hockey team ran its unbeaten streak to 12 straight games. Ann-Renee Desbiens recorded shutouts in both games to give her seven this season. The Badgers have off until Jan. 10 when they will take on Minnesota in Minneapolis.