With new ranking, UW volleyball looks to extend win streak to 16

Deme+Morales+%287%29+and+Taylor+Morey+lead+an+effective+back+line+thats+been+a+big+part+of+the+teams+15-game+winning+streak+
Jason Chan
Deme Morales (7) and Taylor Morey lead an effective back line that’s been a big part of the team’s 15-game winning streak

The last time the Wisconsin volleyball team commanded the No. 2 overall rankings in the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Poll, it came following a loss in the 2013 National Championship match.

This year, that ranking comes on the coattails of a 15-match winning streak.

The Badgers (24-2, 14-1 Big Ten) jumped two spots in the poll after wins against Michigan and Iowa last week. The two teams that were previously ranked in front of them, now-No. 5 Washington and No. 8 Florida State, each dropped their first two matches of the season last week.

“I’m not taking too much stock into that [because of other teams losing],” sophomore setter Lauren Carlini said of moving up in the poll. “It’s cool. It’s the highest we’ve been in a long time. It’s pretty sweet.”

No. 1 Stanford remains the only undefeated team in the country at 26-0.

The 15-match winning streak for UW has all come during Big Ten play, following the Badgers’ loss in their first conference match to Penn State Sep. 28.

UW will go for 16 consecutive wins Wednesday night as they take on Illinois (21-6, 13-3 Big Ten) at home. A Badger win would tie the longest conference winning streak by a Wisconsin volleyball team, a mark that was set back in 1997.

Getting to this point hasn’t been a cakewalk, Wisconsin head coach Kelly Sheffield said.

“It’s been very challenging,” Sheffield said in his Monday news conference. “Listening to the other coaches that have been in this league a lot longer than I have, this has been the most challenging schedule as far as the travel, trying to keep your kids rested and improving. That has been tough.”

Last time out against the Fighting Illini, the then-No. 6 Badgers went to Champaign, Illinois Oct. 4 and took the match in four sets. Despite the win, Illinois, ranked No. 16 at the time, outscored Wisconsin in the win 87-86. Senior middle blocker Dominique Thompson paced UW with 14 kills.

Senior outside hitter Ellen Chapman said the Badgers’ unpredictable offensive attack has allowed for their recent success, and that the team will continue that tactic against Illinois.

“I think that’s gonna be the key to not only this match but every match,” Chapman said. “Just keeping the opposing side guessing and try and get the one-on-ones and hopefully we can all put it away.”

Leading the way for the Illini is junior outside hitter Jocelynn Birks, who torched the Badgers for 22 kills the last time the two teams met, and averages 3.87 kills per set. On the other side of the court, senior opposite side hitter Liz McMahon tallies 3.14 kills per set.

“Going back and looking at how we played them earlier this year, we’ve got to do a lot better job defensively than what we did previously,” Sheffield said. “Birks and [Morgan] Criswell (2.86 kills per set) and McMahon, those are as physical of a pin hitter as you will find around.”

The players realize that getting off to a fast start is important for success.

“I think that just the main thing is coming out with more energy and being aware that’s one of our problems,” Carlini said. “In those game situations, we need to hold each other accountable energy-wise.”

Wednesday’s match also holds historical implications, as Chapman needs only eight kills to move into fifth place in Wisconsin’s all-time kills list. With eight kills, she would surpass Kelly Kennedy (1996-1999), who currently ranks fifth with 1,406 kills.

“I don’t really keep track of that stuff,” Chapman said. “Winning and sweeping Illinois would be my biggest wish for Wednesday night. It’d be pretty cool. I didn’t even know that [milestone] was coming up.”

Chapman leads the Badgers with 2.98 kills per set and has recorded 10 or more kills in 13 matches this season.

The Badgers have four more regular season matches, with three of them coming against ranked opponents (Illinois, Ohio State on Oct. 21 and Purdue on Oct. 28). Wisconsin’s previous five matches have come against unranked opponents.

“I think it’s a positive for us going into the [NCAA] tournament,” Carlini said. “Playing three ranked teams going into it, a lot of people in the conference don’t get that chance. It’s the best way to end possible.”

First serve is scheduled for 7 p.m. Wednesday night from the UW Field House.