Fast Five: This week in Wisconsin athletics

Joey Reuteman

1. Melvin Gordon

Gordon had one of the greatest single game performances Saturday against Nebraska with his 408 rushing yards, and continues to add to what was already a pretty special season. The junior now has 1,909 rushing yards through 10 games, which is more than the rushing totals of 83 of the 128 FBS teams. Gordon needs just 200 yards in the final two regular season games to break Ron Dayne’s single season mark of 2,109 rushing yards from 1996.

Here’s some of his best runs from Saturday.

2. Has volleyball lost yet?

Make it 15 straight victories for the Wisconsin volleyball team, which has won 45 of its last 48 sets since losing to Penn State Sept. 24. UW returns home Wednesday against Illinois trying to maintain its one game lead on the Nittany Lions with just four conference matches to play.

3. In-state rivalries begin

The Badgers men’s basketball team begins the battle for Wisconsin this week when it takes on UW-Green Bay at the Kohl Center Wednesday. Last year at the Resch Center in Green Bay, Wisconsin narrowly escaped with a 69-66 victory thanks to Frank Kaminsky’s 14 second half points, which helped the Badgers overcome a seven-point deficit. Keifer Sykes had 32 points in last year’s contest for the Phoenix, and despite being listed at a generous 6-0, the senior guard can still throw down.

4. Cross-Country moving onto National Championships

A year after losing their Big Ten and Great Lakes Regional title streaks, the Wisconsin men’s cross-country team got back on track with a clean sweep this year. Two weeks removed from winning the Big Ten Championship, the Badgers outdistanced second-place Michigan State by 21 points on their home course Saturday to advance to the NCAA Championships for the 43rd consecutive year. Meanwhile, the UW women’s team placed second to advance to the NCAA Championships for the second-straight year.

5. Women’s soccer headed to Florida

A little snow couldn’t stop Cara Walls and Wisconsin Saturday night, as the Badgers knocked off DePaul 2-0 to move to the second round of the NCAA tournament. As the competition heats up, so does the weather. Wisconsin will take on UCF Friday in Tallahassee, Florida, to try to keep its season alive.

Badgers beat DePaul, snowy conditions to move on to second round