Men’s soccer hopes to salvage season in Big Ten tournament

In one final attempt to label the season a success, the Wisconsin men’s soccer team is making final preps for the first round of the Big Ten Tournament Saturday.

Ninth-seeded Wisconsin (3-11-3) will face the eighth-seeded Rutgers, who defeated Wisconsin in overtime earlier this season 3-2.

The three goals they gave up that game was the second highest total they allowed on the season. The Badgers let up the final goal on a defensive breakdown, which has not been as much of an issue in recent games.

Since then, Wisconsin has consistently worked to improve their team defense, which has paid off, despite the six goals given up in their previous three games.

“With our individual defending and our team defending, it will be a lot harder for them to break us down this time than the first time,” freshman forward Mark Segbers said.

In order to advance in this tournament, along with the improved defending, Wisconsin can use things they have learned from their previous matches with Rutgers, and potentially Maryland.

One major change from their previous game is their ability for a quick start. Wisconsin has made it a priority to come out strong in each and every one of their games to try to get a quick lead.

“I think the way we start the game is going to be crucial,” Segbers said. “If we come out fired up with a lot of energy, like we have been the last couple of games, then there definitely will be a different result coming out of the game against Rutgers.”

The Badgers are ranked last in the tournament, allowing them to play the role of spoiler.

After tying the second-ranked Indiana Saturday, Wisconsin coach John Trask believes it allowed his team to understand they can compete with any team in the Big Ten.

“If they don’t believe they can make some noise in the Big Ten Tournament, [that game] proves we are not an easy team to play against,” Trask said.

Along with this gained sense of confidence, Wisconsin is also ready to play loose and give it their all in what could be their final games of the season.

“It’s all or nothing at this point going into the Big Ten Tournament,” junior midfielder Drew Conner said. “We know that if we have any chance of going to the NCAA Tournament that we need to win this. At this point, we have nothing to lose, so just going into the tournament with the mentality to take it one game at a time.”

The winner of the conference tournament gets an automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament, which is Wisconsin’s lone hope of continuing their season.

Wisconsin is motivated to keep the season going for the seniors, especially after the Badgers made the NCAA Tournament last season.

“We know that if we lose one game, we’re going home and we don’t want the season to end, and we don’t really want the seniors to have their last game, so we want to keep playing until we get to the championship,” Segbers said.

The Badgers have not won a conference game yet this season, so making a run in this tournament would be a huge step for this team and a large confidence booster for the young players when they come back next season.

The first step in trying to get to the tournament begins when Wisconsin takes on Rutgers at noon Saturday in Maryland, with the possibility of another game, against top-seeded Maryland at noon again Sunday.

The Big Ten Tournament continues the following weekend for the semifinal and final Nov. 15 and 16.