Fast five: This week in Wisconsin athletics

Joey Reuteman

1. The Road to Indy begins this week

After making the National Semifinals a year ago, the men’s basketball team brings high expectations and a No. 3 AP ranking into the 2014-2015 campaign. The Badgers kick off their season with an exhibition game this Wednesday against UW-Parkside with tipoff slated for 7 p.m. at the Kohl Center.

2. Frank Kaminsky is pretty good

Speaking of the men’s basketball team, the AP also announced Monday that senior center Frank Kaminksky is one of its preseason first team All-Americans. Besides averaging 13.9 points and 6.3 rebounds per game a season ago and playing a key role in the Final Four run, Kaminsky had this decent performance against North Dakota last November.

3. Men’s hockey renews its series with North Dakota this weekend

When the Wisconsin men’s hockey team made the move for the Big Ten last season, it lost out on one of its premier rivalries with hated WCHA foe North Dakota. But the team formerly known as the Fighting Sioux is back on the Badgers’ schedule this year, and the two will fight Friday and Saturday night with some hockey in between.

But the series has also featured some pretty good hockey over the years outside of the characteristic chippy play, including this save from Shane Connelly in a November 10 matchup from 2007.

4. Will the volleyball team lose again?

The Badgers have won 11 straight matches dating back to Sept. 24. Oh, and they haven’t lost a set since Oct. 4, a span of 25 straight set wins.

5. How many championships is too many?

The Wisconsin men’s cross-country team has dominated the Big Ten over the years, and Sunday won its 15th Big Ten team title in the last 16 years. After tripping up a season ago with a third place finish, the Badgers won the title by 30 points this season, aided by the second straight individual title for Malachy Schrobilgen, who is only a sophomore. Out of the 100 total Big Ten championships for men’s cross-country, Wisconsin has taken 47 of them.

Cross country back on top of Big Ten