Badgers seek ninth straight win as Huskers come to town in anticipated sellout

Hayley Cleghorn

Eight wins are great, but nine would be sublime.

The Badgers face the No. 14 Nebraska Cornhuskers (12-6, 6-3 Big Ten) yet again this Sunday at 4 p.m. under the lights of the UW Field House, as No. 5 Wisconsin (16-2, 8-1 Big Ten) strives to clench its ninth match-win in a row.

On Wednesday night, Wisconsin continued its hot streak by sweeping the Iowa Hawkeyes (25-15, 25-22, 25-19), successfully winning their 16th set and eighth match in a row.

Meanwhile, Nebraska’s Wednesday match against Minnesota was the true showdown match-up of the evening, as the Cornhuskers came back from a 2-0 set deficit to conquer the Golden Gophers in a 3-2 victory.

Sophomore outside hitter Kadie Rolfzen contributed 17 kills and 14 digs towards her teams’ success. The 6-foot-3 sophomore from Papillion, Nebraska averages 3.48 kills per set and has 223 kills so far this season.

Huskers junior outside hitter Kelsey Fien’s performance of 14 kills and two block assists helped push the Gophers in a hole. Fien hits at a rate of 2.88 percent and averages about 2.78 kills per match.

The Cornhuskers’ senior setter Mary Pollmiller also put up big numbers against the Gophers, tallying 54 assists from 64 attempts, leaving her with an impressive assist percentage of .844. She leads her team with 676 total assists this season.

However, Wisconsin’s dominant front row may put Nebraska’s hitting to the test.

The last nine set victories for the Badgers have consisted of 33.5 total team blocks and 122 kills.

“When we were toward the bottom of the league, I would have considered us one of the worst blocking teams,” head coach Kelly Sheffield said in Monday’s press conference. “Now that we’re up there in the top three, I want to consider us one of the best blocking teams now because the numbers say it. It’s an area we’re spending a lot of time on, and we’re getting better.”

Sophomore middle blocker Haleigh Nelson specifically has been an explosive hitter and blocker for the Badgers. Her blocking numbers have drastically increased over the past week during the back-to-back Minnesota matches coupled with Wednesday evening’s win against Iowa. Nelson had 22 kills, 18 block assists and one solo block over the past three matches.

Opposite of Nelson in the Badgers’ rotation stands redshirt junior middle blocker Dominique Thompson at 5-foot-11. Not towering as high as the typical middle, Thompson makes up for her size with her precision, speed and vertical jump. The last three matches, Thompson has totaled 11 block assists and two solo blocks.

Wisconsin has catered three sold out crowds this season against Penn State, Maryland and Minnesota.

“We’re real excited about that. What I was real excited about this past weekend not only selling out, but the student support there,” Sheffield said. “I mean, they were packed. They were loud and energetic. I think they were starting to come along as well, and man, that makes all of us really excited.”