Men’s soccer student section bolsters game atmosphere

Mens soccer student section bolsters game atmosphere
Hayley Cleghorn

The University of Wisconsin men’s soccer team took matters into its own hands to try to better engage with student fans at its games and created “The Colony.”

Although there have been sections of students at games in the past, The Colony gives the Badgers an official student section that sits, or rather stands, right on top of play behind the opposing goal.

The idea for The Colony began to grow after the Badgers lost to Rutgers three weeks ago in front of a large and energetic crowd in which students received free admission. Wisconsin head coach John Trask received many compliments about the atmosphere that almost helped Wisconsin pull off a comeback victory.

“Rutgers coaching staff said to us after the game that it was one of the best environments they’ve been in,” Trask said. “That night was special, and it was on the Big Ten Network and there were a lot of promotions going on, but boy, not just the 12th man of The Colony, the vibe of the whole place, everybody. I had alums come up to me, I had soccer people from the community, I had former players that played for me the past few years just saying, ‘Wow, this was awesome.’”

After a big showing against Rutgers, UW Athletic Department handed out shirts to members of The Colony for the game against St. John’s the following week. Again, a majority of the bleachers were filled with students behind the opposing goalkeeper.

Trask believed The Colony was beneficial in the strong second-half performance for the Badgers in their draw.

Excitement is building around this extremely young Wisconsin team, just as all of the pieces are coming together. Freshmen forwards Tom Barlow and Mark Segbers are working well together in the front to create scoring opportunities.

Wisconsin Badgers redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Casey Beyers has been playing aggressively on the defensive side as well. As the players get comfortable in their roles with the team, results could start turning in favor of the Badgers, who have won one game so far.

The Colony could be the deciding factor for close games at home in the future, with a high-energy environment contributing to the players’ energy as they begin to tire late in games.

“It’s just incredible. It gets you more excited, more willing to play, maybe make an extra run or something, just because of the atmosphere,” junior defender Adam Lauko said.

When the crowd gets into the game, it helps out the Badgers not only offensively, but defensively as well by getting into the goalkeeper’s head.

“When we are down and momentum is in the other team’s favor, they’re cheering us on and it really helps us out, especially when the other side can really hear them,” Beyers said. “It’s pretty funny to hear, especially as a goalie, you can appreciate it a little more, but it’s a great time. It makes it feel like a tough game and more exciting and it gives us that extra edge.”

Beyers says goalkeepers try to zone everything out, but it can’t always be done.

Trask also enjoys the creativity that students are able to show through their cheers and chants, but hopes The Colony can change an outdated attitude about the game of soccer and its fans.

“Soccer is a big thing and it’s a social opportunity for people on this campus to get involved in a sport that maybe in the past wasn’t looked at as a real fun environment,” Trask said.

The Badgers hope students can use this opportunity to become a fan of Wisconsin soccer, but to also become a soccer fan for a long time coming.

“It’s not just potentially being a fan of Wisconsin,” Trask said. “This may be an opportunity where you become a soccer supporter for the rest of your life.”

Soccer fandom in the U.S. has expanded rapidly in recent years, as the U.S. had the second-most fans in Brazil for the World Cup behind the home country of Brazil. Trask said he thinks the strong showing from the World Cup could be one of the factors for increasing support for Wisconsin’s soccer squad.

As far as the student perspective is concerned, sophomore Matt Foster believes The Colony not only benefits the team but allows the students to have a good time at the games as well.

“When a lot of people come, it’s a fun atmosphere, the players feel hyped up, they play for the fans, and it’s a fun time altogether,” Foster said.

The young Badger squad should entertain fans when they come to the McClimon Complex, but Trask realizes the team needs to start winning to build a stronger fan base.

“We’ve got to start winning some games and getting these guys excited. With this young team that we have, I think they’re pretty exciting to watch play,” Trask said.

The Badgers’ next game at the McClimon Complex in front of The Colony is on Oct. 7, when they take on Green Bay.