Wisconsin Game Grades: Bowling Green

Offense – A : The numbers speak for themselves when you take a look at the Wisconsin offense’s performance against Bowling Green. It would be hard not to award the unit an “A” after setting school records in both total yards and rushing yards. But it wasn’t just Melvin Gordon’s performance that led to the gaudy numbers put up by the offense Saturday. It was an all-around beat down by the offensive unit that also included 100-yard rushing performances from Corey Clement and Tanner McEvoy, and even recently-converted running back, Dare Ogunbowale, who finished with 94 yards. Although the passing game was rarely used, McEvoy did hit Sam Arneson for a 34-yard touchdown pass in the second quarter, who finished the day with a team-high 63 receiving yards.

Defense – A- : The Wisconsin defense slowed down the fast-paced Bowling Green offense for the most part. It allowed only 17 points against a team that put up 124 combined points in first three outings of the season. Senior linebacker Derek Landisch led the way with two sacks and 3.5 tackles for loss, and tipped a pass in the red zone that freshman Lubern Figaro intercepted in the second quarter. The Badgers’ second turnover came when sophomore Vince Biegel forced a fumble that was recovered by freshman Alec James in the second. The Badgers got beat deep several times though and were prone to the big play, with both of Bowling Green’s touchdowns coming on plays of 60 and 35 yards out.

Special Teams – B+ : When returner Kenzel Doe gets north to south, he is a formidable return man. He had two big punt returns of 57 and 38 yards that set up the Badger offense up in great field position. Doe’s two kick returns went for a combined 72 yards. He did muff a punt, but managed to recover and limit the damage. Coverage was solid other than a 40-yard kickoff return in the third quarter. Freshman kicker Rafael Gaglianone hit two field goals (43, 28) in the fourth quarter, but missed an extra point in the second quarter.

Coaching – A : The Badgers’ coaching staff did an excellent job on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball Saturday. In the early going on offense, offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig called a diverse set of plays that allowed the run game to open up after the first quarter. His use of dual-threat Tanner McEvoy early on forced the Bowling Green defense to have to choose between McEvoy or Melvin Gordon, which really helped Gordon have the day he did. On defense, defensive coordinator Dave Aranda had his unit well prepared for the up-tempo style of Bowling Green. Despite the game being tied at seven early, the defense dug in and seemed to be ready for any look the Falcons were going to throw at them, thanks to the coaches who made sure the right packages were on the field for the Badgers.