Players to watch Wisconsin vs. Bowling Green

Two players are ready to carry their respective teams Saturday at Camp Randall

James Knapke – QB

Knapke didn’t play in the first game this season against Western Kentucky, which also happened to be the only loss for the Bowling Green this season, but since then he has put up some impressive numbers in back-to-back wins.

After redshirting his freshman year and seeing limited playing time a year ago, Knapke has stepped up in his first two career starts this year, orchestrating a 45-42 win over Big Ten squad Indiana last week. Not only did Knapke throw for almost 400 yards, with 395 yards through the air against the Hoosiers, he also displayed a dual-threat potential with 37 rushing yards on eight carries.

The week before in a comfortable win over VMI, Knapke had three total touchdowns and 237 yards through the air in his first career start.

Although his college numbers have been limited, he had a strong high school career as the only quarterback in Indiana to lead his team to three-straight high school championships. With a big day from Knapke, the offense for Bowling Green could give Wisconsin a formidable test.

Melvin Gordon – RB

Running back Melvin Gordon waited for his turn to showcase his abilities in a Wisconsin rushing attack that has forged the identity of Badgers’ football over the last two decades. After spending time behind Montee Ball and James White, Gordon had high expectations heading into this year but has started the year off slower than expected.

The first game of the season against LSU started out with a bang as Gordon ran for 144 yards, almost half of which came on a 63-yard rush to begin the second half. Since then, though, Gordon has run 20 times for only 40 yards. In his first two seasons, Gordon averaged almost 10 yards per carry, so his numbers recently are nothing he, or fans for that matter, are accustomed to seeing.

Wisconsin’s power running game is still its calling card, and if Gordon can break out of the mini-slump, the Badgers’ offense could become a force to be reckoned with. If a healthy and destructive Gordon gets back to his potential this weekend, and if quarterback Tanner McEvoy continues with what he displayed last week, Wisconsin will win big.