Basketball tickets sell out in five minutes following Final Four season

Coming off a Final Four run, the demand for student season tickets for men’s basketball was sure to reach new levels as they went on sale Tuesday morning.

But not many people could have predicted just how fast they went.

It took only five minutes for the 2,100-seat “Grateful Red” student section to sell out Tuesday morning, showing just how excited students are for this year’s Wisconsin basketball team.

Usually, the demand for football tickets is what has people stressing out, but it appears basketball — for at least one season — has dethroned football as the most wanted sport at UW. But that should not come as a surprise.

Football tickets sell out in less than an hour

The 2014-15 men’s basketball team returns all but one of the members of its starting lineup this season after Ben Brust graduated this past spring, but the Badgers have two strong options to replace him in the starting line up. Nigel Hayes, last year’s Big Ten Sixth Man of the Year, and guard Bronson Koening, could take the starting spot. Koenig played exceptionally well as a freshman last season, and sliding him into the starting lineup would give Bo Ryan a three-guard lineup.

But don’t forget about the other four people that make up the starting lineup.

Traevon Jackson, who always seems to come up with a big shot when called upon, will be back to anchor the point guard position with Josh Gasser in the backcourt as well. Sam Dekker, who wowed people this summer at Lebron James’ camp, returns alongside breakout star Frank Kaminsky. The hype from both Dekker and Kaminsky heading into this season is about as high as the demand for student season tickets was this morning.

The 2014-15 home schedule is highlighted by another non-conference match up against national powerhouse, Duke, on December 3rd. Michigan State, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, Purdue, and Penn State will all travel to the Kohl Center during Big Ten play as well.

Not all of the 2,100 tickets were sold Tuesday morning, however. Those who participated in the Men’s Basketball Rewards Program last season and earned enough points by attending games could buy their season tickets a day early.

Regardless, with one of the best season’s for men’s basketball in the rear view mirror, and a team in 2014-15 that could be even better, the Kohl Center is set to remain as one of college basketball’s toughest places to play as the Grateful Red should be out in full force.

Wisconsin’s tournament run ends in one-point loss to Kentucky