Defense silent but deadly for women’s soccer

Badgers have allowed more than one goal only one time this season

When a casual soccer fan only checks the stat sheet for goals and assists after their team’s victory, they ultimately deprive themselves of the whole story behind the match.

The other key factors that played into that match such as clearances, passes and strong communication are often underappreciated and unnoticed. While the strikers and set-up players usually get the glory, the defensive efforts are often left in the shadows. Being a successful defensive unit requires unselfishness, sacrifice and a strong bond with teammates.

These are three qualities that the No. 12 Wisconsin women’s soccer team appears to have mastered, as it is off to its best start in the program’s history (7-1-0 overall, 1-1-0 Big Ten).

Perhaps head coach Paula Wilkins summed up the mentality of the team with her thoughts on junior defensive standout Brianna Stelzer being named the Top Drawer Soccer’s Team of the Week.

“As I told the team, whenever a person on the team wins an award like this, it’s basically a shout out to everyone on the team for the work they did,” Wilkins said. “If we hadn’t won 3-0 and 4-0, she wouldn’t get that honor, and I think knowing Brianna, she would be the first to say it was a team effort.”

This selfless attitude will be just what this team needs as it ventures through the tough waters of Big Ten competition.

Unlike previous seasons, senior goalkeeper Genevieve Richard believes experience and maintaining the roster has played a key role in turning the page from last year’s struggles.

“I think it helps a lot that it’s our second season together, especially the back four which hasn’t changed since last year,” Richard said. “Especially when you’re talking about defense because I think it’s very important to have a feel for what kind of decisions your teammates are making. Being able to better anticipate what’s going to happen helps so much with reading the game, and the stress management is so much easier when you know your teammates that well.”

Being the leader of one of the nation’s top defenses is a testament to the dedication Richard has given to the game since the first time she put on the gloves. She had a successful high-school club career, which included gaining Goalkeeper of the Tournament honors at the 2008 U-16 Canadian Championship. She continued to have success as she developed into one of the top goalie prospects in Canada, eventually earning herself a spot on both the U-17 and U-20 Canadian National Teams.

In 2012, Richard was ready to make a statement for Canada at the U-20 Women’s World Cup in Japan before things took an unexpected turn. A quad injury suffered on the first day sidelined her for the duration of the tournament.

Richard shared her thoughts on the setback and the perspective she gained from it.

“It made me realize what I [am] willing to do and sacrifice for soccer,” Richard said. “Was I ready to work through an injury to try to play? Was I ready to accept the fact that I was on the bench on the national team? Was I ready to accept the fact that I wasn’t playing here when I could’ve been playing back in Wisconsin? It was a challenge for me to see how much I was committed basically.”

After recovering from the injury and returning to play for the Badgers, Richard hasn’t looked back, continuing to improve season-by-season. After recording two shutouts in her opening season in 2012, she was promoted to first-string and recorded 80 saves with a .784 save percentage in 2013.

It hasn’t been a perfect ride for Richard, but everything up to this point has culminated into her being the anchor of a top-tier defense in one of the toughest conferences in Division I Soccer. With five shutouts already in 2014, her career might be peaking at just the right time.

Having the opportunity to play together as a consistent back line for multiple years now, Stelzer echoed Richard’s comments on the benefits of forming a close bond with her teammates.

“I just think we have really great communication in the back and good relationships with each other,” Stelzer said. “We know what each player is capable of doing, so we work with each other really well as a unit.”

Richard, Stelzer and fellow defender and senior Alexandra Heller have a combined six years of experience playing together and learning each other’s strengths coming into 2014.

After a thrilling 2-1 overtime win at Michigan State Friday, Wilkins believes this team is more prepared than ever to take on the Big Ten behind the leadership of the upper classmen.

“For me, I lean on the people like Allie Heller who has been through it, and knows what it feels like, and I think that experience is something that’s really important,” Wilkins said. “There’s a different confidence about these guys, where in the past you’re a little worried they might be shaky or nervous, but I think that these guys know that they’ve put the work in, and I think the confidence comes from preparation.”